Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't load - Safe Mode freezes - panicking child!

• Please log in to reply

chrisg6152

chrisg6152

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Ron

On the fears that I may now have to set back to factory settings, I am currently transferring data files from my HDD using the Linux CD but am having one problem.

I can't locate the e-mail folders (sent.dbx, inbox.dbx etc). I do have several e-mails that I'd rathr not lose.

Is there a way that I can perform a search for them?

And anymore thoughts on what is causing my problem?

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest backing up your data and format the system. This way you can start with nothing but the native OS and try the videos before installing any other programs. If you want to save your Outlook's address's and Messages then go HERE and follow the steps.

If Email does not open or says not default mail handler then go HERE

If none of the above will work then try going to HERE

chrisg6152

chrisg6152

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Ron

I was transferring documents using the Linux Live CD and I think I have stumbled across the restore points that I couldn't find in earlier posts. :D

When I load Linux, it indicates that there are 4 drives to mount. My C: drive is labelled as sda2 and has all the Windows folders, Program files etc, which is where we thought the Restore Points should be.

There is another drive labelled as sda3 that has a folder named System Volume Information/Restore/202.....07/ and contained within this folder are three folders named RP1, RP2 and RP3. The dates that they were created tally with the dates that the malware issue was resolved. I can only assume that this is a separate partition.

If I move these folders to the other (sda2 or C:)drive, will they be visible from the Recovery Console and so enable us to run the steps in Post #4?

If so, which folder should they go in and should I move just the RP1,RP2 and RP3 folder, or the complete System Volume Information Folder?

Many thanks in advance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The sda3 you state is a different hd or partition according to Linux.

chrisg6152

chrisg6152

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Ron

I have found the same folder but this time on the same drive as Windows. The Restore Point (RP) folders are similarly, in a folder called System Volume Information. This folder is separate from the Windows folder.

Is it going to be possible to restore from here?

Many thanks for your patience!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should be able to. Write down the location and then try the restore steps again and use the folder you found to gain access to the restore points.

chrisg6152

chrisg6152

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Ron

Excellent - I'll give it a go. I'm just a bit unsure of when I use the folder location and to what extent. :D

Using post #4 as the template, what do I replace with the folder name (assuming that Folder RP2 is in C:/System Volume Information/Restore/{202....7}

Again, apologies for being such a wuss - I don't want to make it worse!

Cheers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Step 9 is where you put in the new folder

chrisg6152

chrisg6152

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Ron

This is really starting to get me now! :D

At step 9 I replaced cd system~1\resto~1 with cd System Volume Information\_restore{20255.....F}\RP1 but was met with 'The parameter is not valid' message.

Am I doing something wrong?

As I mentioned before, the RP Folder is NOT in the Windows folder. Does this make a difference?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Type this first then hit enter and let me know what happens.

cd System Volume Information

Advertisements

chrisg6152

chrisg6152

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Ron

Typed in cd System Volume Information and when I press Enter I get

The parameteris not valid. Try /? for help

Any thoughts?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The Restore Point (RP) folders are similarly, in a folder called System Volume Information. This folder is separate from the Windows folder.

If I am thinking correctly this folder is inside the windows folder correct?
This means it would be like C:\Windows\System Volume Information

chrisg6152

chrisg6152

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Ron

No! :D

If I explore the PC using Linux Live, when I mount the drive the System Volume Information folder is outside the Windows folder, so I would map it as C:\System Volume Information

Does this help?!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the problem is it is a hidden system folder and that is why you can't access.
It looks like a fresh install is the way to go at this point but I want to make sure you have all the data backed up you need to save.

chrisg6152

chrisg6152

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Ron

That's what I was trying to avoid but never mind! I have almost finished transferring files/documents etc to an external hard drive.

The only problem I am having is locating the e-mail dbx folders. Any ideas how I can search for them using the Linux CD?

Failing that I am trying to borrow a USB adaptar that I can use with my HDD and search with a Windows laptop.

I won't be able to complete this for a couple of days but will post when I'm ready to continue.

As I see it I have two options - I can do a clean install of XP or reset back to factory settings.

Which would you recommend?