Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't load - Safe Mode freezes - panicking child!

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Post 17 has the link on how to find and backup the emails and addresses for outlook.

Advertisements

chrisg6152

chrisg6152

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Ron

Unfortunately I need to be able to access Windows for these methods to work.

Looks like I'll have to take the hit - lesson learnt. Backup more often!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can't get to it thru the Linux Live cd?
The steps should work the same as all you do is have it save the backup file to your flash drive if that is what you are using.
You also could save the backup and send it to yourself in email as a attachment.

chrisg6152

chrisg6152

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Ron

I don't think I explained properly.

I can't copy the e-mail folders because I can't locate them.

The methods in post 17 require access to the tools menu in Outlook/Outlook Express, which I can't do!

I think it may be a case of slowly trawling through all the folders.

bearface82

bearface82

• Pip
  • 2 posts
would this sequence of actions also work for a Vista system that is getting hung up in safe mode on the crcdisk.sym?

chrisg6152

chrisg6152

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Ron

:D I have finally bitten the bullet and have reset the PC back to factory settings.

I think in the long run it is probably the best course of action - wipe clean and start again. At least it's got rid of all the rubbish that the kids have downloaded/deleted/downloaded again.

All that remains now is to set up the e-mail/internet/itunes and reload all the software.

Many thanks for your patience and expertise, and my son also passes on his thanks. The project was handed in yesterday - finished and on time. :D

I shall keep reading the forums but hopefully not contribute for a while. (but you never know!!)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and I'm sorry the resolution could not have been better for you. At least you should see a great performance increase since everything is fresh again.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you with this issue and for your patience in all the steps we took along the way.
I'm very happy you were able to save your sons homework and hopefully he got a good grade on it. Please let us know if there are any other issues we can assist you with and I do hope you will just hang around and enjoy the wealth of knowledge here by all the members as well as the staff.