Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio from PC to HDTV?

• Please log in to reply

Joe B.

Joe B.

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm building my first PC and have all the components in my Newegg shopping cart but I've run into a small problem.

I have a certain layout I need to follow once my new PC is built. Basically in one room I will have my bed and an HDTV mounted on the wall. The second room will have the PC at the desk area. I will have PC speakers connected to the PC that will sit on the desk in the second room. I will run an HDMI cable from the back of my new Palit GeForce GTX 460 across the way into the HDTV in the first room. I will only use the HDTV for watching movies. Other times I will be using a 22" monitor in the computer room (which fyi doesn't have built-in speakers).

Here's where my problem lies:

I have sound in the computer room when playing games, browsing the web, etc. But when I'm watching a movie from in the other room, how do I get sound?

Now I heard many modern GFX cards have a built-in audio output capability but it appears as if mine doesn't. The HDMI cable delivers both audio and video but there's no audio running through the video card.

Is buying a different video card that supports audio output my only option? Or is there something I can do to deliver audio from the computer room to the bedroom without having to move the speakers into the bedroom?

Please give me some options. Would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

- Joe B.

Advertisements

Joe B.

Joe B.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Or does that card support audio? I keep reading mixed reviews on the subject of audio through the video cards. Some say it only serves as a passthrough and a connector is needed from the mobo/sound card to the video card (assuming the video card has a connector for this). I don't see any 3 pin connectors on this card though.