Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Basic Windows Driver

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I have been having some problems with a laptop and following the KB from Microsoft attempted to fix them. I was instructed to go into safe mode as a first step. The problem is safe mode is unavailable. Just a scrambled screen. it boots into windows easily using the installed driver but I suspect the basic Windows driver is missing. Is it retrievable. I had considered doing a repair install but that comes up against one of the problems I am trying to fix; no access to Windows updates. A repair install would require updates.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If the basic Microsoft video driver was missing you wouldn't see anything at all in safe mode, the screen would be blank except for a "No video signal" message.

You don't need to download updates to do a repair install. The repair install gets Windows working normally by replacing any corrupted or missing system files from the XP CD. You should then have a working internet connection allowing you to install any updates but those updates have nothing to do with the repair process.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Since I get an assortment of stripes, waves, or mostly black screen with some strips of color, why can't I get into safe mode? Is it something in the boot process that only a windows repair or reinstall would cure?

Added question To prep for a repair reinstall I was checking the Key code that I would probably need. My problem is the number on the back the laptop does not match the number returned by Belarc or Keyfinder. If I proceed, which number should I use? (No longer have the original cd's)

Edited by Janis, 26 February 2011 - 03:17 PM.