Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger Error !

• Please log in to reply

ptwenty

ptwenty

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi - hopefully you can help. I've been reading other peoples issues with Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger Error (PDE) trying to solve my probs.

The PC in question is my PC (upstairs and no Net connection) - I am accessing this forum via my parents PC (downstairs and broadband), and my parents' is fine.

The problem started a couple of days ago and it occurred when I browsed the contents of a folder with 6 x 700Mb avi files in it - (these had just been d/l and put on my upstairs PC)

The computer would freeze, etc then issue the PDE, and I couldn't delete the avi files or the folder they came in, I was getting the "file in use" message

I downloaded MoveOnBoot to rid myself of these files, which it did, and managed to delete the folder too.

But now it does the same thing PDE when I look at the contents of any folder for about ten or twenty seconds.

Here is a copy of a HJT log I just did.... I really appreciate any help you can give me. I also just did a full system scan using Ad-Aware and it found no critical objects.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:08:44, on 28/05/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Wes Ford\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://luft.netfirms.com/luft/lan
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe Active File Monitor (AdobeActiveFileMonitor) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
O23 - Service: Photoshop Elements Device Connect (PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect.exe

Just to mention that the PC in question has never been connected to the net and shouldn't have MSN messenger on it.

Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! I have read that Windows explorer doesn't like avi files, and generates those wonderful Dr. Watson death messages you saw. I have the latest codec from www.divx.com and never had a problem. I did a google search and found the thread below which provides a fix that worked...from the thread below
Hi - had the exact problem....worked when I did Start > Run> regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic34788.html

If you want to be able to view avi files, go to www.divx.com and download the codec. You can get the free version with the ads and blast the ads away with ad-aware.

ptwenty

ptwenty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanx for the prompt reply austin-o!

Well I went to the page you linked, and created video.reg like it said and added it to the registry.

Seems to have done the trick so far.

One thing I wasn't sure about though is the Start> Run> regsvr32/u shmedia.dll

When i typed it and hit enter, the pc didn't have a clue what I meant - couldn't find/didn't understand "regsvr32" and failed at that point. I didn't include quote marks when trying to run it.

But in the mean time it seems fixed anyway - so thanx a bunch! :tazz:

Ptwenty