Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot from sata plugs

• Please log in to reply

Eksua

Eksua

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My PC gives me the options of setting my 2 HDDs or my CDrom drive as bootable options in the BIOS but none of them are actually bootable when I select them. I thought maybe my OS HDD was just corrupt, so I put in my OS disc and tried to boot up from CDROM. Again, it told me that I need to boot with a proper boot device/media. This led me to believe that the sata controller on my mobo had finally died, so I got a PCI adapter in the hope to bypass the sata plugs that were causing the problem. Unfortunately again this didn't help at all. The only way I can now boot up my PC is by booting up with pendrive linux, and whilst I'm in pendrive linux, it tells me that the only HDD I have connected is the pendrive itself, even though I have 1 HDD directly plugged into the mobo and 1 directly plugged into the PCI card. I've checked all PSU cables and everything is plugged in properly.
I have a bad feeling I need a new motherboard, but just in case there's something else that might be causing this problem, I thought I'd check here first.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Edited by Eksua, 27 February 2011 - 02:24 PM.

Advertisements