Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading OLD desktop

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
So I upgraded to a laptop around a year and a half ago and have decided to dig out my old desktop as I am beginning to get back into gaming and do a fair bit of CAD which my laptop which loves to overheat doesn't take too fondly to it...

Spec of destop:
Motherboard: Asus P5B
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz (Will be over clocking this)
Memory: 2x 1GB DDR2 6400 (Will upgrade to 4GB)
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro.
Sound Card: SoundMAX HD Audio

Two questions really.

1. I have acquired a NVIDIA EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT SSC Graphics Card which will be a lot better than my Radeon HD 2600. Will this be compatible with my system?

2. I may be interested in changing the case. Most likely a shuttle type or one of the mini desktop cases to save space. Obviously I may experience issues fitting my motherboard in one of these (correct?) If so, is there something small enough that will support my hardware?

Edited by tiroshii, 27 February 2011 - 07:22 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi mate,

1) Yes the 8800GT should pop straight in as a replacement. Make sure to check, I think the 2600 Pro does not require an extra power adapter but the 8800GT does.

2) Not recommended. The 8800GT cards are known for running HOT HOT HOT. If you are upgrading the case, get something that has really good airflow. As a minimum (and a good choice) I would look at Antec 300 and pop two extra 120mm case fans at the front blowing in.

Cheers

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
If that's the case one of the two cases I have already will probably suffice.

Thanks for the info.