Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow windows 7 internet connection. 2MB on a 30 MB line

• Please log in to reply

GodsElmo

GodsElmo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
dxdiag...
System Manufacturer: eMachines
System Model: ET1331G
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X2 235e Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 5888MB RAM
Page File: 1466MB used, 10306MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

this is my wife's machine. The problem is 2 days ago she started having REAL slow internet connection. We have charter internet and its working normally for me. speedtest.net download 28.01MB down and 3.18MB up. (windows vista machine) after doing everything I can think of her speed is still only 2MB down and .58MB up. I have bypassed the router and plugged right into the modem and using the same cord for both systems got the same results. Her cricket wireless stick was plan b but it takes actual minutes to open a web page. She runs crap cleaner every day. no changes made to system before problem started. I have ran all the updates, anitvirus (mcafee), tried to uninstal tcpipv6. got rid of every addon she had on browsers (firefox and IE...same speed when using either to do test) spybot search and destroy and still the speed remains the same. She thinks it is our isp but our isp doesnt play favorites like oh its him and he pays the bill so work and oh its her , hurry up and shut down bandwidth =)lol. I have been working on this for 2 days and I am not a windows 7 user or a tech guy. I learned when all else fails come here and you guys have always been great help. Is there something I dont know about windows 7 or some setting I am overlooking? 2nd night in a row up all night working on this. I know spybot found some issues and fixed them. antivirus is finding nothing. LMK what info you would need or any thoughts on setting ect. Thanks guys.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Run OTL:
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ Step 2.

Since this is Win7 you will need to right click and Run As Administrator. Select either the Use SafeList or All option in the Extra Registry group then Run Scan.

You should get two logs. Please copy and paste both of them. Do not attach them.

Close all programs.

Start (or Windows Logo), (All) Programs, Accessories, then right click on Command Prompt and Run As Administrator. Continue. Type each line in the code box followed by an Enter. Ignore lines with ():

[code=auto:0]

ipconfig /all > \junk.txt

ping -n 25 f1.com >> \junk.txt

(F ONE.com)

tracert -d f1.com >> \junk.txt

netstat -e >> \junk.txt

netstat -s >> \junk.txt

netstat -rn >> \junk.txt

notepad \junk.txt

[\code]

(I use two spaces in the code box so you can see where 1 space goes.) Copy and paste the text from notepad

Right click on Firefox or Internet Explorer and select Run As Administrator then go to

http://quickscan.bitdefender.com/

and run the quickscan.

When it finishes there is a report option. Click on it and copy and paste the report (even if it says nothing found).

That should be enough to start with.

Ron