Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard disk boot failure - please insert system disk

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I found these HERE on the site you gave me. Close but it looks like models before the one I gave you. Still good buys though for the money.

Advertisements

jamboogy

jamboogy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks, but should I be looking at laptops which also have good reviews too?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes that would be a good point also. I am just giving you a ideal where to start and at a price point to consider. The more your budget the more of a selection you can find.
I have always made sure my customers thought about what the main purpose of their system is first before buying then go with a budget allowing for some flexibility in it.
From there good common research, reading other reviews and not just from the manufacturers website. Third party review sites to me are invaluable since they hold no allegiance to any manufacturer.
From there then see about expandability and support that you can get. Check on the warranties available and how much extra will it cost to extend that warranty to include parts and labor. Make sure what that warranty will and will not include.
Do not be surprised if you decide on one and then you change your mind as I have seen it happen numerous times before. :D

jamboogy

jamboogy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Again, thanks for your help! I will be doing some research over the next few days to see what comes up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good luck with your search and please let me know how it goes.
If you need any help comparing a system or two feel free to post here and I will get back with you ASAP.

jamboogy

jamboogy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay, I did a bit of research and these seem quite good:

Acer Aspire 5741
Samsung RV511
Sony Vaio E series (VPCEB3J0E/WI)
HP G62-B18SA

I get quite indecisive with things like this because what one doesn't have, the other will have, if you know what I mean. Some help on deciding which to choose would be greatly appreciated :D!

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Acer looks like a good all around system
Samsung seems to have a little issue with the sound needing to be turned up all the way to hear everything.
Sony seems to have a short battery life
The HP seems to get about a 50\50 split on being good or bad. The one thing they all agreed on was the trackball is worthless.

jamboogy

jamboogy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
One question about the Aspire - sites have gone on about the quality of the screen. Should I really be worried about it?

Also I found this: Samsung R580, which seems quite good. Your thoughts please?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Samsung R580 has gotten some good reviews and seems to be a great buy with the I5 cpu and the bluray dvd drive included with it. A good one to put up against the Acer for sure.
The screen quality would be important if you are watching movies and\or gaming. Other then that the Acer is good also.
If the price is close for both I would say the Samsung R580

jamboogy

jamboogy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I've been doing some checks and it appears that the hard drive still moves when I boot up the computer. I had a thought; would I be able to install windows on my portable hard drive and see if the 'dead' hard drive appears if I can run windows from the portable?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If your system is capable of booting to a external drive then yes in theory.
Now if a Linux Live cd could not see the drive that would indicate to me that the drive has failed even though it still spins up the first sector of the actual disk may be corrupted and\or damaged.