Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC shutting down

• Please log in to reply

Prominia

Prominia

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I built a PC over the summer and recently it started to randomly shut down. Sometimes multiple times a day, and other times it is fine. I do not get any error messages, and it seems to turn it back on i have to tilt it forward. I am going to open it and see if maybe there is a loose wire, but other than that i do not even know what i should be looking for.

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W
Intel Core i7-920
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW
Radeon HD 5870
CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Have you checked the obvious - i.e the cpu temperatures?

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Yes I have using Everest, which now doesn't want to work but i believe the CPU was around 40º. Sorry, but I do not know what the temperature should be at.
Just Checked using HWMonitor they were 32-36

Edited by Prominia, 03 March 2011 - 08:23 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Your cpu temps seem fine so doesn't look like that's the cause.

Random shut downs with no warnings can be very hard to diagnose. If you haven't already done so, then check all the connections inside the computer. You've got a modular PSU so remember to check the connections at the PSU as well as at the motherboard etc.

I would also check Event Viewer just to make sure that nothing has been logged in there at the moment, or just prior to the system shutting down. Obviously you'll need to make a note of the exact time when the next shut down occurs so you know what to look for in the logs

It may even be worth trying a different power outlet if possible

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Ok will do thanks for the help. Ill post more if i cannot solve the problem.