Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is there a way to simulate DirectX9 to run programs?

• Please log in to reply

luvpats

luvpats

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have been unable to find out why a couple of programs refused to open up. When I looked at their requirements both programs utilized Direct X Acceleration as one of the prominent features of the program itself.

So I went to the Direct X Control Panel and ran tests. The tests passed running Direct X 7 but failed on Direct X 8 and above. So I went to the Manufacture web site and learned that my video card only supports up to Direct X 7.

What I would like to know is if there is a way to simulate Direct X 9 so I can at least open the two programs. One is a game that has 3D.

I would think that they would both open up at least but to no avail. When I click on them nothing happens.

I know the other way is to get a new video card. However I have built in video and the picture is quite clear and, actually, extremely good video quality. When I play a DVD the picture quality is excellent.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you!

Everything is up to date and I do have DX9 installed. There are no other problems when running tests.

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Unfortunately, there is no way to do that.
Your card only supports DX7, so it (and your computer) must be quite old.
You can buy a new video card, but I doubt that you can find a card that works. If you can find one, then it's probably an old one that won't work for long.
That said, the best way to use your program is to buy a new computer.

luvpats

luvpats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Let me ask-

My computer is a P4 so it is not that old but I suppose it is old comparatively speaking.

My question is:

Is that why the two programs won't open? Because they rely on DX9 or later?

Or is something else causing the two programs not to open?

I am not sure what year the computer is.

Runs great. . .best computer I have ever worked with.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
It's because those programs need functions from DX9 to work.

Also, a P4 is really, really old, to the point that it can be considered obsolete. I have one, and it works, but it just won't run new apps. You can't watch big videos, play 3D games; even Office lags as [bleep]. You can't use new operating systems either; I have to switch to Linux because my computer refuses to run Vista at an adequate speed. Linux is nice though...

In short, you should seriously consider buying a new one. You would be impressed at how better it runs.