Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accidently moved folder in program files

• Please log in to reply

ArtOfShred87

ArtOfShred87

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i accidently a moved a sub folder inside the program files folder and i am not it exactly sure what it was, my computer was kinda freezeing up on me so it happened pretty fast. anyway is there a way to find out what folder it was i simply dont have the time or patience to search every folder in there and there are a lot of them. i just dont want any of my programs messing up.

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Do you have even a slight clue as to what the folder was named or what it contained? ANY details at all will be helpful

ArtOfShred87

ArtOfShred87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
no i tried to move the whole window but some how when the computer froze for a brief second i moved a folder, by the time i got a chance to look at the copying window it closed on me. would the computer keep a recored of what is moved maybe like in event viewer or something?

Edited by ArtOfShred87, 05 March 2011 - 03:44 AM.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Yes, Windows 7 has a native event viewer console. I see you are using Windows 7, so press Start > Search 'Event Viewer' > Click on the program called 'Event Viewer'

ArtOfShred87

ArtOfShred87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
what exactly would i look for in the event viewer?

Matriculated

Matriculated

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Firstly, unless I missed a custom log, there is nothing in Windows 7 "Event Viewer" that will show folder or file relocation activity.
There are a couple of ways to gather this information but for this case I would recommend "Last Changed Files" from File.net. This program will scan any directory chosen by the user and show the most recently modified or created files for that directory. It's a very simple program and has been scanned by VirusTotal.com (click here for results) to be malware free.

Steps for your particular case:

• Open "Last Changed Files" program
  • Click on "Browse" on toolbar in upper left hand corner
  • Select the folder you want to check (in your case the programs folder)
  • Let it scan the folders properties (it may take a while based on folder size)
  • When the scan finishes check the "File date" column for the date the file was moved
  • If you have done this recently, it should show the folder that you moved on that date
For this to work you have to do it within a set time and know the time and date when you accidentally moved the file. For future reference, when you accidently move a file you can do one of two things to correct this (if done immediately after the move). Either pres "Ctrl + Z" or go to "Edit" in the browser window and select "Undo" to undo the folder or file move.

Hope this is helpful, if not let me know we'll try a different approach if necessary (i.e. Windows "search" function).

Edited by Matriculated, 05 March 2011 - 08:14 AM.

ArtOfShred87

ArtOfShred87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
matriculated, i used that program you suggested and i dont see any moved folder in there just alot of .dat .map files.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

ok so ive done the chkdsk both options, automaticly fix file system errors- turned out no problems. scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors- did come up with errors and it told me they were fixed. i tried to back up again i got the same message... so i'm assuming that the hard drive is failing. i have kept good maintenance on this computer i just dont see why it is giving me so many problems. as far as my attitude, what can i say i have anger issues and frankly im suprised i havent smashed the computer yet.

Was the issue on your previous post as above in February ever resolved, the one I worked on with you, as if it was NOT, as this new thread tends to suggest

my computer was kinda freezeing up on me

then whilst everyone is keen to help, that is why we work on here, it does appear to me that little progress can be made, on this issue.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 March 2011 - 06:55 PM.

ArtOfShred87

ArtOfShred87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
no i never fixed that problem with the hdd i kinda just put that aside. i did manage to stop my computer from unexpectedly shutting down, im not exactly sure what i did but it worked.

i am having trouble installing the standalone application for the .net 4.0 framework, i dont know what the problem is though when i clicked the exe an error screen came up and said unspecified error.

Matriculated

Matriculated

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
ArtOfShred87,

Using the "Last Changed Files", were you able to browse to the "Programs" folder and specifically scan that folder? The "Folder" information is in the column to the right of the "Filename" column.

The trick is to realize that not to many files would have been added to the "Programs" folder for the day in question (i.e. the day you accidentally moved the folder). Therefore, if you match the "File date" column (the day that you moved the file by accident) and any new files (and folders) for that date you then would be able to deduce what folder you moved.

To elaborate further, unless you installed a plethora of programs on that day it should be pretty obvious what folder does not belong. If you prefer, perform the above steps and then attach a screenshot(s) showing the day that you accidentally moved the file. The windows "Search" feature option is vary similar to this and requires a few extra steps so lets try this easier option first. Attach the screenshot(s) if your still having trouble discerning the accidentally moved folder from the rest.