Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CMOS-BIOS

• Please log in to reply

clixto

clixto

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I get a screen on my laptop when I boot up. At the bottom it says: Please enter setup to recover BIOS settings CMOS date/time not set
Press F1 to run setup Press F2 to load default values and continue. I'm running window XP Home on this laptop. The laptop is an Asus Eee PC. Not sure what to do here??

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you click F2 does the system then boot up correctly till the next time you restart?
If so you most likely have a failing cmos battery that needs to be replaced.
On a laptop that battery would be located under the hd most likely and looks like the picture below. You can buy them at most electronics store or even a jewelry store may have them.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The battery that keeps your CMOS data (bios settings, date, time etc.) is probably dead so each time your laptop is not connected to an ac power you loose all your data.

You need to replace the small battery (similar to a watch battery) inside your laptop.

If putting a new battery and saving your BIOS data does not fix your problem then you might have a CMOS chipset problem

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
It boots up when I press F2, however the time is not correct. I also noticed that when I use the power cord and open the laptop the power light is on. Before I had to press the power button to power up and boot.

This laptop is maybe over a year old. Is this common for the battery to fail?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They do eventually wear out but it is uncommon for them to go out in a year. Is there still a warranty in effect for the laptop?
If so you might see about having it replaced under the warranty.
The cost of the battery is less then 5.00 USD and is not that hard to replace with a little care.

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I'll check to see if it's still under warranty, but it seems pretty straight forward to replace. After I switch the battery..do I need to change anything with the time setting?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you will need to go into the bios and reset up the time and date. Make sure to save before you exit.

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
ok. Thanks again for your help

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Thanks for your help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Glad I could be of assistance. Let us know if you need further help and how everything works after replacing the cmos battery.

Advertisements

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Will do..probably sometime this afternoon

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I reset the time and date in BIOS, but still get the screen. Now it doesn't say that there is a time and date problem. The date and time are ok. Should I just re-format it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go back into the bios and click on Load Defaults and then Save and Exit
Let me know if the message still comes up then. :D

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I did a scan disk for errors. Nothing was found that I know of, but now it seems to be loading ok.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you go into the bios and load defaults and then save and exit?
Any errors on bootup?