Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer 5050 struggling to upgrade to Vista and Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

BReal59

BReal59

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
hi there, can someone help me please? I have an Acer 5050 laptop with a failing hard drive. The other day i was forced to reformat the operating system because of an infected file. I deleted all partitions and formated the hard drive. After this i tried to install the Vista disc but i kept encountering erors during the install. I then tried to install Windows 7 and i continued to get errors trying to install. However i was able to install Windows XP- but my Acer eRecovery program was gone and i am unable to install Windows Service Pack 2 and therefore cannot upgrade to Windows Vista.
Im stuck for solutions on what to do. When i deleted all partitions, did i accidently delete the recovery partition? Im not sure what is causing these problems that causes the laptop to not install Vista or Windows 7.....is it just the failing hard drive or did i accidently delete a nessecary recovery partition needed? (if the latter is the case, why was i able to install Windows XP?) thanks for your time, i would appreciate any help.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi you can get SP2 from here

BReal59

BReal59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Hi you can get SP2 from here

thanks- but that is where i download from originally and it does not complete. I do not even have Service Pack 1 installed yet but for some reason the Microsoft update skips straight into SP2.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
XPSP1a be here :D

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Can you please give us your laptop specs? And where did you get these OS discs from? Did any of them come with the laptop and are they all legitimate copies?

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Acer Recovery Media Purchase Program

This site is used for purchasing recovery media for your Acer product.

https://secure.tx.ac...aspx?brand=Acer