Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble & Confusion connecting my laptop

• Please log in to reply

jerosakireno

jerosakireno

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi, I already have a modem & internet connection for my desktop computer. Now I just got a gateway laptop with Windows XP (model 400SD4) off my friend and want to set that up to connect to the internet. I tried calling my internet/phone company for assistance on setting it up, & after a few of their attempts they told me I needed to get the proper wireless LAN drivers installed. I have no idea what to look for, I included some screen shots of whats going on, when I go to my device manager, I have that yellow exclamation point under "other devices" Notice it says Wireless_LAN_11Mbps_Mini_PCI. When I click on the properties, it tells me the location is "on Texas Instruments PCI-1410 CardBus Controller". I'm not sure where to go from here... I cant really find what to do next, or where to find what exactly I'm looking for. I'm guessing I have to update or install new drivers or something. How do I do that? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Attached Files

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
here you go
http://support.gatew...n&param=3501309
see network downloads

jerosakireno

jerosakireno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for the link but I was there on that site already with no help. There are 3 possible network drivers available, & one is for windows 2000, so that makes 2 possible network drivers since I'm using XP. I downloaded both of the remaining links, and they just gave me a bunch of files I do not know what to do with, now located in C:/Cabs. One says 9522473 & one says 9520300.

The 9522473.exe file did give me an icon of some little bars on my taskbar, now that say "wireless-no wireless network card driver present". (see #1 on my screenshot - http://i51.tinypic.com/2dgonbp.jpg)

I view the read me files, & it tells me "If installing for the first time:

a. In Device Manager, under Other Devices, double-click Lucent Technologies-WaveLAN/IEEE.
b. In the Lucent Technologies-WaveLAN/IEEE properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.

If installing over an earlier driver:

a. In Device Manager, under Network adapters, double-click Orinoco Mini PCI Card.
b. In the Orinoco Mini PCI card properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver."

After looking at my device manager, I do not have either Orinoco Mini PCI card or anything saying Lucent Technologies-WaveLAN (see #2 in screenshot - http://i51.tinypic.com/2dgonbp.jpg)

This is what 9522473 & 9520300 look like:

http://i56.tinypic.com/23hoahi.jpg

please help!

IT Joe

IT Joe

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Edited -

Texas Instruments PCI-1410 CardBus Controller

This makes me think you may need to install another driver before the wireless will even be exposed to Windows (if, indeed, you have wifi hardware).

Here's a link to some folks that still support a PCMCIA adapter that uses the TI PCI-1410 -

http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/

Near the top, click Downloads, then scroll down to PSeries PCMCIA Adapters and click Driver download.

There a reasonable chance *that* driver will enable the PCI-1410, which may then allow Windows to see any CardBus wireless hardware you may have.

Then install the wireless adapter driver -

Right-click the words next to the yellow warning sign for your wireless adapter and click Update Driver. Select the last radio button, "No, not this time" and click Next. Select "Install from a list or specific location" and click next. Uncheck the box for removable media, check the box for Include this location, and click Browse. Paste in, or browse to, C:\cabs\9522473\XP and click next. Windows should find and install the correct driver for your wireless adapter.

Restart Windows, and make sure the wifi feature of your router or modem is turned on AND SECURED. Enter the corresponding information into Windows, and the wireless should connect.

Edited by IT Joe, 08 March 2011 - 10:24 PM.

jerosakireno

jerosakireno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
the P series PCMCIA adapter worked, I now have 2 of those, as you can see in this screenshot.

http://img718.images...i/42316168.png/

but the yellow mark is still there, and I tried exactly what you said, searched C:\cabs\9522473\XP and it could not find it or install it ("cannot install this hardware, the wizard cannot find the necessary software").

Now when you say "install the wireless adapter drivers", do you mean the 9522473 file? I have that with the 9520300 file saved on my comp, but not really sure how to install or even if they are installed...

Wifi on & secured? I dont know how to do that... I saw somewhere online it says fn & f2 but that does nothing on this laptop.

IT Joe

IT Joe

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Interesting. Two PCMCIA devices.

Anyway, from my last post -

"Then install the wireless adapter driver -

"Right-click the words next to the yellow warning sign for your wireless adapter and click Update Driver. Select the last radio button, "No, not this time" and click Next. Select "Install from a list or specific location" and click next. Uncheck the box for removable media, check the box for Include this location, and click Browse. Paste in, or browse to, C:\cabs\9522473\XP and click next. Windows should find and install the correct driver for your wireless adapter."

Read carefully & follow the steps. It should work.