Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time build- need advice

• Please log in to reply

rfrn

rfrn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I am building my first time ever so please be gentle. I primarily plat WOW. I know how to use a computer, I understand the basics of the different parts for them and I know how to play games but otherwise I am not really computer savvy so please be gentle.

This is the list of components I plan to get and would love advise on whether I forgot any essentials and if the components I chose will actually work together.

Thank you in advance for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

ANTEC Nine Hundred Black steel case
AMD Phenom II X4 965 125w Quadcore
Seagate Barracuda 7200 Bare drive 3.0gb/s
ASUS M4A79XTD Motherboard (no on board chipset)
SeaSonic 620W PSU
ASUS DVD/CD DRW Drive
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2X4GB) 240pin DDR3 SDRM 1066 CAS Latency 7

Advertisements

Schutzengel

Schutzengel

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
other than a discrete video card and an OS you have I think the core of a decent computer. I will have to check the specs on the mobo and make sure it supports AM3

and you WILL want a seperate video card for WoW

but all in all ... ok ... not awesome, but adequate and inexpensive

Schutzengel

Schutzengel

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
http://www.newegg.co...02&Tpk=M4A79XTD

it does have a chipset it uses an AMD790X northbridge and the AMD SB750 southbridge...

Like I have said not a blazingly fast but adequate system.

rfrn

rfrn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you so much for your input. I forgot to add that I was thinking Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 for the Video card. Is that a good one for WOW?

rfrn

rfrn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been researching for what I might need for WOW and so far all I have found says you do not need as much for WOW as you do for other games. Is this accurate? I would hate to have to start all over again right away. Thank you again for your help.

Schutzengel

Schutzengel

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
no, wow does not need as much power as many games... first person shooters etc... any RADEON 4000 series and up should do the trick

rfrn

rfrn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you again. You have been very helpful!