Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Saving file in IE8 converts spaces to underscore

• Please log in to reply

s0nginmyheart

s0nginmyheart

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

I am using Windows 7 and IE8. This hasn't bugged me terribly in the past but it has become a bit of a nuisance lately.

Whenever I download a file, it saves the file name with underscores instead of spaces...

(example) filename "This File Name.mp3" is saved as "This_File_Name.mp3"

Is there a way to change this so that it is saved with spaces instead of an underscore?

Thanks in advance~

Read more: Downloading file converts spaces in filename to underscore... how to fix? - Tech Support Forum http://www.techsuppo...l#ixzz1FshRIZIQ

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
That's done to make filenames compatible with DOS, and old versions of Windows which relied on DOS, where spaces aren't allowed, so the underscore is used to represent a space instead.
You will have to remove the underscores manually or just leave them as they are.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 07 March 2011 - 06:43 AM.

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

That's done to make filenames compatible with DOS, and old versions of Windows which relied on DOS, where spaces aren't allowed, so the underscore is used to represent a space instead.

That's what the responder on the Tech Support Forum claimed, but that seems a bit strange to me... Can you provide a link that backs up this claim?

I wouldn't have thought it had anything to do with DOS at all; I would have thought that IE8 wasn't converting anything - the underscores were part of the filename all along. How do you know the file contained spaces in the first place?

The reasoning behind this explanation: Spaces don't work well as part of a web address, since they have to get hex encoded (which would result in: "This%20File%20Name.mp3"). Common curtsy/convention would be to never have spaces in a filename when you're placing it on the internet.