Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer overheating, no CD/DVD drive showing

• Please log in to reply

BikerDR

BikerDR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
OK here we go with the screen shots. I think this time you might get both as attachments.

I'm getting two people talking to me here. I will only be responding to rshaffer61 unless he tells me different.

By the way I do not get any other drive showing but my C: drive.

BikerDr

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot 4.JPG
  • screenshot 5.JPG

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK in Device Manager Right click on the Primary IDE and then click on Uninstall.
Now reboot and let windows install it again.
Check Device Manager again to see if it still shows up with a yellow exclamation mark.

As for speedfan it is not showing the needed information so we need to try a different program.

Motherboard Info:

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished

Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on the Motherboard directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply
On the left side click on the Sensors directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply

http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I'm getting two people talking to me here. I will only be responding to rshaffer61 unless he tells me different.

I orignally posted to ask if the same situation prevailed NOW as it did in SEPT last year, when comment was made on the ram and the optical drive fault existed then. If there is a temp issue then you may find that
information I included useful.

I only then added that the reason your screenshot did not show was because you had attached it as Bitmap, instead of JPEG.

My good friend and mentor rshaffer61, will confirm that it is quite usual for two people to work together, as advisors on a thread.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it is normal to have more then one member or staff member responding to a topic and offering advice.
We are not trying to confuse you at all but only offering options you could try.
I can be the main responder to make things easier. :D

BikerDR

BikerDR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Here you Guys go.
BikerDr

Property Value
Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
Serial Number .hq88f51. .

North Bridge Intel i855GM/GME Revision A2
South Bridge Intel 82801DB (ICH4-M) Revision A2

CPU Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 478 mPGA

System Slots 1 PCMCIA

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Sensor Value Min Max
IRONDOCTOR
ACPI
Temperatures
THM_ 64 °C (146 °F) 60 °C (139 °F) 66 °C (149 °F)
FUJITSU MHV2040AH
Temperatures
Assembly 42 °C (107 °F) 41 °C (105 °F) 42 °C (107 °F)
Battery 1
Voltages
Current Voltage 16.60 V 16.60 V 16.60 V
Capacities
Designed Capacity 97680 mWh 97680 mWh 97680 mWh
Full Charge Capacity 97029 mWh 97029 mWh 97029 mWh
Current Capacity 97680 mWh 97680 mWh 97680 mWh
Level
Wear Level 1 % 1 % 1 %
Charge Level 100 % 100 % 100 %

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see nothing unusual with your readings.
Have you checked the vents to make sure they are clear? I cannot see anything to cause the overheating at this point.

BikerDR

BikerDR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I will double check them later. Any thoughts on the CDROM problem?

BikerDr

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The cdrom problem I believe is a bad drive at this point.
Did you by chance do the steps in post 17 about uninstalling the IDE that shows the yellow exclamation mark?

BikerDR

BikerDR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Yes I did that the other day when you gave me the list of items to try. Would a bad drive make the D: drive disappear on the "My Computer" ? Could it be a disk partition or registry problem?
If I go into the computer to clean inside out is there something to check? Cables, or such?

BikerDR

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope the problem I was suggesting that the cdrom drive is bad.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
From my post 11 if it helps

I think, in relation to the reported 75C temp at idle, you will find that this was quite a common problem on that dell inspiron and many people cured it with the use of a compressed air can
However the real solution I think, depending on your capabilities, is on the following link.
http://support.dell....e_documentation

The service manual, basically removal of the hinge cover, the keyboard and the EMI (Elecrical Interference) shield, then you can clean the coooling fins..

CAUTION DO NOT remove the actual thermal cooling assembly.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above
Also here is a link to Dell for YOUR computer
http://support.euro....hs1&l=en&s=dhs.

If it stays on the actual entered details. If not simply re=enter the detail from your previous post
Serial Number .hq88f51. - which is also your srvice tag no.
Although they are now quite old, you may wish to check you have those latest drivers.

You can on that site check your present installations, as against the standard - as shipped on 4 August 2004 configuration.

CD DRIVE not showing in My computer.
I have just checked the entry in that Malware thread for the registry key for your CD drive, there is nothing wrong with that key but you will find it on your computer, as it was listed in the log on the malware thread.
A cause of the problem you have, can be, that a program you have installed, Roxio, Nero, Power DVD, WinDVD, can take control of the drive and cause this error.
I am not saying that this is the case, in this instance and ONLY if you are familiar with the registry should you proceed.
IF YOU DO DECIDE to try this, please ensure you establish a restore point first.

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Click Start type regedit in the run box
  • Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
  • In the right pane, if you have UpperFilters, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
  • Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
  • In the right pane, if you have LowerFilters, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
  • Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
  • Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.

Good luck with it and it may of course be nothing to do with this, but a bad drive as rshaffer61 has said.
If you prefer to confirm my suggestion with him, I will not be in the least offended.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 March 2011 - 07:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 9 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

BikerDR

BikerDR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I"m posting from another computer. I've lost power to my computer. Power cord is good, (tried it on my wifes computer) but will not power up my computer. I suspect a mother board problem. It would seem to explain my other issues as well. Looks like the computer will be going out for inspection/repair.

BikerDr

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be a motherboard but also could be a faulty PSU.
You could do a motherboard bench test to take out anything that may cause the issue by doing the following.

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions