Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java Install - Error 1304

• Please log in to reply

sens

sens

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello there.

On attempting to download the latest Java update, I was at first successful. However, the plug-in seemed to be ineffective. I uninstalled it to try again. However, this time my Anti-Virus software detected a possible viral file. A little cautious, I canceled the installation to check the Java website on an issue like this. A support FAQ question had me realize that this was a common error among some older Anti-Virus programs. So I began the installation again. This time, I got this error:

Error 1304.Error writing to file C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\zipper.exe. Verify you have access to that directory.

Note that this is the file that was possible spyware.

When typing this into my files address bar, I got this response:

Cannot file 'file:///C:/Program%20Files/Java/jre6/zipper.exe. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.

I've run a few diagnostic tests, restarted the computer. No good. I'd truly appreciate some help.

Advertisements

sxshaffer

sxshaffer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
See here. If that solution doesn't fix the problem, please let me know.

sens

sens

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

See here. If that solution doesn't fix the problem, please let me know.

The file is not being written - it isn't there to delete and try again.

The folder is there (jre6), but there is no .exe file, and there is none to find through search.

sxshaffer

sxshaffer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Did you try uninstalling Java entirely? Use both the application's uninstaller and a little tool called JavaRa.

Then download the latest version of Java here. The 64-bit version can be downloaded here.

sens

sens

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Did you try uninstalling Java entirely? Use both the application's uninstaller and a little tool called JavaRa.

Then download the latest version of Java here. The 64-bit version can be downloaded here.

I did indeed uninstall my older version of Java already. It did not change anything.

However, the link you provided to download from worked (though my computer is 32bit), unlike the Java website download! I'm still not entirely sure as to why ... but I'm extremely grateful for the attempted help and the successful link! Cheers!

sxshaffer

sxshaffer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You are very welcome :D

I always download Java (Flash, Shockwave and DirectX, too) from FileHippo because an offline installation seems to work better for me than one that is integrated as an ActiveX or Script on a website (like the one on Java's website used to install the latest version)