Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a printer

• Please log in to reply

Woozle35

Woozle35

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Can anyone help please. I am trying to install a lexmark x3690 everytime I get half way through I get the message:

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 is required to continue. The software is available at microsoft

So I have then gone to download it and it says

this is already installed

Can anyone help. I have been trying to install this printer all day and really need to get some work done.

Thanks Viki

eta and yes I am not technical minded at all

Edited by Woozle35, 12 March 2011 - 09:25 AM.

Advertisements

Woozle35

Woozle35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
anyone?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I would suggest is Uninstalling All Programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to

Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
At the top of the window make sure to check the little box that says Show Updates or something like that.
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need... Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0
Then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to Restart your computer.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

Once this is done then try your installation again and if prompted again then try to reinstall the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0.

Woozle35

Woozle35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you I will go and try that now x

Woozle35

Woozle35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

I have done this

'Do this by going to

Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
At the top of the window make sure to check the little box that says Show Updates or something like that.
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need... Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0
Then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions'

but it does not list any Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0, it does show Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4

Any more advice, I really need to install my printer and really do not what to do.

Thanks Viki x

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is the printer USB or Parallel?
Did you install the drivers with or without the printer connected?
Are you using the drivers disk for the printer or did you download the drivers from Lexmark?

Woozle35

Woozle35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks

OK is the printer USB or Parallel? Usb
Did you install the drivers with or without the printer connected? I just installed the setup cd and when it got to the bit 'you can now plug your usb cable in' it would not let me go any further
Are you suing the drivers disk for the printer or did you download the drivers from Lexmark? Same as last answer

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets try this in case your disk is damaged. Go HERE to Lexmarks driver page for your printer. Download and try to install suing that file and let me know if it works now.
You will have to change the OS to Microsoft and then to XP 32 bit version.
Then the page will change and click on MORE un der the heading that says Recommended Downloads

Woozle35

Woozle35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did that, and after download it went to Lexmark installation. It went through the set up and stopped at the same bit.

Woozle35

Woozle35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Could I have the wrong usb cable. I have one that has 2 male ends?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Windows Installer CLeanup Utility
This will hopefully cleanup any program that uses windows installer to setup.