Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring Acer Aspire One D250 to Factory Settings

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Tymek

Tymek

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First of all, this isn't a problem about my computer, it's about my brother's.

My brother had a netbook (Acer Aspire One d250-1938) until about a week ago, when he got a new laptop. The reason he got the new laptop is because the netbook had a bunch of viruses and was running extremely slowly (and it was his birthday; not important).

Anyways, my mom wants to use this netbook and is wondering if there is any way of totally wiping everything off it to make it fast again. Naturally, she suggested just simply deleting everything, but that wouldn't fix the problem of the viruses, and therefore it would still run slowly.

So I came across the idea of just reseting the whole thing to factory defaults. However, I soon found out it wasn't so easy.

First, I tried using System Restore. The earliest possible date to restore it to was 2 months ago, when the netbook is easily over a year old. And the restore failed for some reason.

So then, after hours of researching, I came across a new tip: using Acer eRecovery Manager to restore the netbook to factory defaults. However, when I clicked "Completely Restore System to Factory Defaults", a pop-up appears saying, "Hard drive configuration is not set to the factory default. Restore aborted".

So I researched some more, and found a new tip: in the Acer splash screen, right when you boot up the computer, press down the ALT key and tap F10 repeatedly. So I tried this, and this didn't work either. It either wouldn't work at all, and the computer would just continue booting normally, or it would go to the black screen with the cursor blinking up top, with a little bar at the top of the screen, which was a lot of colours, sort of like an old TV or something. And it would stay like that until I manually powered off the computer.

So, again, I researched still some more, and found tips to enable d2d recovery. However, when I entered to bios menu, it was already enabled, and I tried ALT + F10 again, and it gave me the same results as last time.

Is there anything at all I could do to restore this netbook, without having to purchase a copy of windows on a USB flash drive from Acer? Thanks a lot, in advance :D

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

First, I tried using System Restore. The earliest possible date to restore it to was 2 months ago, when the netbook is easily over a year old. And the restore failed for some reason.

Hi Tymec and Welcome -
You may find that there were already infections on the computer prior to the restore point you selected -
The best thing I can put up is a session in the Malware Removal section, then get your brother to remove all items that are not required for normal usage (leave a few games for Mom) -
I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here -> (http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html). With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum (http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html). If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Thank You -

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
https://secure.tx.ac...aspx?brand=acer

?

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
@ SpywareDr -
Acer Recovery Media Purchase Program
This site is used for purchasing recovery media for your Acer product.
[quote name='Tymec]Is there anything at all I could do to restore this netbook' date=' without having to purchase a copy of windows on a USB flash drive from Acer?[/quote']

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Acer's Recovery Media is $19.95.

Tymek

Tymek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help, but we found out the netbook is still in its warranty, so we're gonna send it in, and hopefully Acer will take care of the problem for us :D

However...

I'm having the same problem with my HP laptop, so I'll post that soon :D

Edited by Tymek, 14 March 2011 - 09:28 AM.