Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer keeps restarting when tying to open regular/safe mode?

• Please log in to reply

Mman6460

Mman6460

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an HP desktop, and I was on my computer. My foot accidentally hit the power strip off (which everything was plugged in to).
For some reason, every time I try to turn the computer back on, the blue HP screen comes up, then the black screen which asks me if I wanted to open in (safe mode, safe w/ networking, safe w/ command prompt, or open windows normal)
Whenever I click safe mode or open normal, it takes me to the Windows XP loading...

It loads, however when it's done loading, the computer RESTARTS! and does the same things again...
Perhaps it was a disk failure? What can I do to fix this?

Please help!

Edited by Mman6460, 12 March 2011 - 11:09 PM.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit Mman6460? and Welcome to GtoG...

Sounds like you will have to boot XP from a CD to run a disk repair. Did your HP come with a XP CD or a full set of recovery disks? (this will make a difference as the full recovery disks would re-install everything and make it like the day you 1st opened its shipping box).

If you can find a XP CD, boot from disk and Press "r" when it gets to its 1st screen. It will search your system and should find c:\windows. Press 1 to log onto that drive. It will then ask you for the Administrator password, (which should be just pressing the enter key, (if it says wrong password, use whatever password you may use with the system). If it comes up to a Dos like prompt, type chkdsk /r and then enter... It should thing find and repair any errors on your drive.

Hope this helps..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

If you can find a XP CD,

If you cannot, find an XP disc, then download this
http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

and make the CD using this program.
http://sites.google....-console-for-xp
It is an ISO image and your normal burning program may well not work

On that second link are the instructions as to HOW to.
NOTE do not insert the blank disc until the burning program asks for it.

When you have the disc.
Follow the instructions in the first Microsoft link - on that burning program link, it is at the bottom left of the page to run the command given to you by MarkD

That is having selected the windows installation to repair, normally only the one on C:\ Windows you then type "chkdsk /r" without quotes and note space between the command chkdsk and /r.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 March 2011 - 04:44 PM.