Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

setup inspecting computer's hardware configuration screen goes bla

• Please log in to reply

moxiecillin

moxiecillin

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just got a new hard drive from Western Digital. It is a 320 GB drive. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop and the BIOS is recognizing the drive at 137 GB. I have the operating system(Windows XP) cds but when I went to install Windows XP on the new drive it goes through the whole process. When it restarted it said setup inspecting computer's hardware configuration screen. The cd drive started spinning then it stopped and the screen just went black. How can I fix this and get windows xp working on my computer?

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi moxiecillin,
Did you format the new HDD and create a partition on it for XP only, formatting is the
best way to ensure you get a clean install.
Once you have XP installed you then need to install all critical updates up to and
including SP3, the true capacity of the HDD will then be recognised, pre XP SP1 will
not recognise anything more than 137GB.
Check out the attached link for more info and another solution to XP recognising the
true capacity of your HDD http://support.micro...3&Product=winxp

moxiecillin

moxiecillin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

Yes I did format my HDD and when it asked for partition I selected the only one available (the new HDD). After I went through the whole process and the computer rebooted this is when the setup inspecting computer hardware message came up came up. When booting from the CD it gives me the setup inspecting compute hardware msg. When I try to boot from the HDD it says a disk read error has occurred.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The installation of XP may be incomplete, do a full format and reinstall of XP.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

moxiecillin

moxiecillin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I try to boot from the CD to re-do the installation that is when it goes to setup inspecting computer's hardware configuration screen goes black.

moxiecillin

moxiecillin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I figured out what was happening. I plugged in another IDE hard drive and windows loaded/installed perfectly right after the first time. The new HDD that Western Digital sent me was having trouble with reading/writing for some reason. I contacted Western Digital and they are in the process of sending me another HDD. Case Solved :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for letting us know and Congratulations moxiecillin. :D for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible