Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless problem unlike any other I have seen on here

• Please log in to reply

qazii

qazii

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK let me list off my specs first:
Emachine E525
Windows 7
intel celeron
and the card I am dealing with is Realtek RTL8191SE
theres an Atheros card too but thats for wired connections...

Prior to all of this everything was working ok other than a overall lack of speed (due to 2 laptops, 1 wireless bluray player, 2 game systems, and 4 cell phones on the wireless network. but of course not everything on at the same time.)
Ok Me and my wife decided to upgrade our internet speed from 20mb/s to 30mb/s. We contacted our ISP and was told that in order to do this we needed to upgrade our modem from a DOCSIS 2.0 to a DOCSIS 3.0, which was ok by us. The service was connected by them, but we saw no speed jump out of anything including speedtest.net. We had a service call and got a new modem (cisco DPC3825) wireless modem. When the tech left we had the speed tested on my wifes machine and got anywhere between 27-33mb/s download and 2.8-3.1mb/s upload. Right about where advertised (i know wireless has a bit of fluctuation to it so this was totally acceptable) then I decided to get on mine and try it out and right away I get 28mb/s average, with both running it was around 20 which is good too. Then I started doing stuff on the internet (youtube, netflix, etc) and I kept have to wait on buffering. Puzzled I ran the test again and found I was at 5mb/s or less with 2.7ish up speed while her computer still keeps the 27-33 range. So I tried all the classics like reset the modem, reboot the computer, reset the network card, I always get the same result...It will run at the speed it is supposed to for a little while (could be 2 minutes could be 5 min. tops) then slows back down to a crawl. I have tried TCP optimizers with no help, i have tried "clean boot", nothing, I have tried network troubleshooter, and it finds nothing wrong, I have double and triple checked that my drivers are up to date, I have adjusted the power saver setting to keep it on always. I have been through my system with MBAM, trend micro house call, and avast scanner and all have found no virus or mal/adware. used microsoft's system integrity checker and all is good there. I know it has to be with the card but don't know what to do. Maybe I am missing something Hope you guys can help, you have before and I thank you all the time.

Please help in anyway possible

EDIT: almost forgot I ran the ping test and when I ping my modem, I get 1ms, 36ms, packet loss, 105ms (those are the average of 4 tests run back to back. Also when wired into the modem through an ethernet line i get the full 27-30mb/s all the time no matter how long its there. Maybe that will help a little

Edited by qazii, 13 March 2011 - 04:19 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 54Mbps/108Mbps figures have nothing whatsoever to do with the speed of the internet. That is the speed of the internal connection between computer and router.
This will fluctuate on occasion, even more so if there's tons of other wireless enabled equipment in use at the same time. If this drops below the speed of the internet (in your case 30Mbps) then it will affect the speed, otherwise no.

Since the issue fixes itself when the connection is wired, that automatically suggests that there is interference from somewhere. One possibly course of action might be to try and eliminate as much of the other wireless interference that's going on. Usually you can do this by turning off all the other wireless equipment, or changing the channel number in the router. This you can do by logging into the router with the address and username/password that should be printed on either the bottom of the router or the separate documentation that you should have been left.

qazii

qazii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
first off thank you for a quick reply.
The speeds I was listing were gained from speedtest.net. all of them. The internal speed never seems to drop below 72mb/s so I know thats good. I would go through and eliminate all other interference but I think it would be to no avail because like I said, my wifes computer is connected to the same network the same way and never has a throughput speed drop on hers. With this being said do you think that a channel change would affect anything if hers is good all the time? I never went through this because of that fact. I can try getting off of 6 and going to 1 or 11 if it helps you help me.

EDIT: also just logging into the modem I get this about the channels, maybe it means something to you...
Model: Cisco DPC3825
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.0
MAC Address:: 00:23:be:d7:80:f7
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R3
Current Software Revision: dpc3825-v302r12901-100201a
Firmware Name: dpc3825-v302r12901-100201a.bin
Firmware Build Time: Feb 02 2010 15:38:21
Cable Modem Status: Operational

Downstream Channels

Power Level Signal to Noise Ratio
Channel 1: -4.9 dBmv 40.0 dBmv
Channel 2: -3.8 dBmv 42.4 dBmv
Channel 3: -4.2 dBmv 42.1 dBmv
Channel 4: -4.7 dBmv 42.0 dBmv
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dBmv
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dBmv
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dBmv
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dBmv

Upstream Channels

Power Level
Channel 1: 46.5 dBmv
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmv
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmv
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmv

Edited by qazii, 13 March 2011 - 04:53 PM.

qazii

qazii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
please dont tell me I have stumped everyone

qazii

qazii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Wow I didnt think it was that tough. I know you guys on here are the best at this in the internet. Someone has to have some clue

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Sounds like your wireless adapter is heating up. Is this thing built-in? Try sticking a vacuum cleaner hose on the exhaust vent and see if it stays up longer that way.

Ron

qazii

qazii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hey i never though of that i'll try it and report back

qazii

qazii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
no luck there I ran it right away and still had very bad results. I can feel when the wireless adapter is and its not even warm. I ran the vacuum and a can duster to really cool things down and get some dust out (just in case) and I still get nothing. I hate to keep shooting down all you guys's ideas but nothing has worked yet. I wish I knew more about wireless settings so I could go in and see if something is set wrong, but I feel if I do that Everything would come out more messed up than when I started lol. I just can't seem to figure this out at all. any other suggestions you have I will try. please keep it coming

EDIT: I just found my event viewer from the "Manage" section by right clicking my computer. ive copied and pasted everything network related maybe this will help someone.

"Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x705AB6DA1E5E. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server." (this seems to be happening 2-4 times a day at different times. and started when I started having problems or close to it)

"The system detected an address conflict for IP address 192.168.0.10 with the system having network hardware address 00-21-6A-B4-FE-3A. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result." (this one only happened once but it was right near the start of the problems)

those are about it for network related events, maybe this will help.

Edited by qazii, 17 March 2011 - 06:40 AM.

qazii

qazii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
this might be premature but I think I have found my answer entirely on accident. I was trying to get a good average from speedtest.net for a phone call to my ISP and had to get up and get a cup of coffee so I took my machine with me. Low and behold in the kitchen I got full speed (tried several times and all good results) came back to my spot on the sofa and re ran it to show very poor speeds. ran that on again and again. To make a long story short there was about a 3 foot square section of my house that had poor speed, the spot I sit every day on the couch. My wife sits on the other end of the couch and she was running great. so I just moved the router/modem about five feet and now I have speed in my spot and everywhere else. I would have never thought of a dead area SO small, but I guess it could happen. i guess this was just a case of occam's razor. hopefully this is the final fix. I will keep checking on it throughout the day and give one final report tomorrow