Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 600 AC Power Jack/Pin busted?

• Please log in to reply

bluegang6

bluegang6

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
If I put the ac adapter into the AC adapter jack of the laptop, nothing happens :S

I have to push it up, or to the side. And even with that, the power light goes " 1 green, 4 amber", and continues blinking.

Even my powersave settings change the dimming of the backlight every 1 second :S

I was having problems with this laptop like no tomorrow (ofcourse, its almost 6-7 years old...), but I thought, so what... An extra laptop to have around would be great.

Do I have to call Dell, or dissassemble the laptop and try re-connecting the wires? (I have a stick, messed up screw that won't unscrew due to the plus head becoming a circle head :D

Any suggestions!?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Need to install a new power jack on the motherboard.

Requires complete disassembly, soldering, reassembly.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Agreed. And that is something best left up to a qualified technician. This is a common repair job so most shops should be able to give a decent estimate of cost up front. The shop should be able to give it a professional cleaning too - to rid the interior of 6-7 years of heat trapping dust, dirt, hair, dander, microscopic critters that eat dander like candy, plus all the microscopic critter stuff they leave behind. :D

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Bahh, got rid of the dust (disassembled half, and woosh)

Yea, ill probably check out the new price for a new jack installation :D, or ill buy one and install it myself (semi-qualified)

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Bahh, got rid of the dust (disassembled half, and woosh)

Yea, ill probably check out the new price for a new jack installation :D, or ill buy one and install it myself (semi-qualified)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sounds like a plan. In the meantime, you might want to pull the HD and install it as a secondary drive in another computer, or in an enclosure attached to another computer. Then backup your data, just to make sure you have a backup of your data.

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
There isn't any data on the drive to begin with. It's 7 years :D I don't trust a hard drive to live for that long. So I pulled the data out a year ago, using more reliable laptops to processes work :D

However, I wanna keep this as a spare, seeing as it holds well with time ;)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

There isn't any data on the drive to begin with. It's 7 years :D I don't trust a hard drive to live for that long. So I pulled the data out a year ago, using more reliable laptops to processes work :D

However, I wanna keep this as a spare, seeing as it holds well with time ;)

It probably would not hurt to run the drive maker's diagnostics on it, just to make sure it is doing fine. 7 years is good - but it is getting near its mechanical end. A motor bearing or some other moving part will likely fail just to normal wear, since the electronics are doing so well.