Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Am I missing a .inf installer?

• Please log in to reply

SblDude9889

SblDude9889

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
My computer was recently infected with spyware, and the good people over at the Malware Removal section were helping me. Greyknight told me to download a .inf file(Del015Domains.inf) to help with my problem. I download the file and his instructions were "Download it to the desktop, then right click on it and click 'Install.' " I downloaded it to the desktop, but when I try to right click and install it I am faced with the following options:
1)Open with...
2)Winzip (and its sub commands such as 'Add to..' etc)
3)Send to (and its sub locations)
4)Cut
5)Copy
6)Create shortcut
7)Delete
8)Rename
9)Properties

Am I doing something wrong, or am I missing a .inf installer?

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi SblDude9889

Strange problem, one I've never had.

First thing I would try is reboot and try after a fresh boot. If 98 is low on memory or resources it acts funny. I've saw it lose file associations like that.

If that's not it, It's probably a registry problem. I found a microsoft article, Microsoft's Advice, but it's for win nt. I looked thru my registry and it's doesn't really apply to 98 sorry.

Found it finally, try Microsoft's 98 Advice

Greyknight might have a better or easier answer, if the microsoft stuff is too hard for you. Hope it works out. :tazz:

Edited by StarHawk, 28 May 2005 - 01:04 PM.

SblDude9889

SblDude9889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I got it all except the last part, where I'm supposed to add the 'Command' part of the new key. Can you take another quick look at it and explain it for me? I added the Install key and made the value '&Install', but now I'm supposed to add a Command of some sort and all it provides is an example which I'm not too familiar with. Thanks for the help.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
the best thing to do is let greyknight handle it. He can create a file you just download and double click instead of using regedit. You need to be experienced to use regedit. I told him of this post so he knows about it. Be careful and don't mess your registry up. If you've already editted it restore it. scanreg /restore at DOS prompt should do it. I posted the link to microsoft for those able to use regedit. I was getting ready to sign off when I saw this, so sorry I didn't really answer your question. I'll give a better answer latter if noone else has by then.

SblDude9889

SblDude9889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
You dont give me enough credit, friend. :tazz: I know how to run/use regedit to an extent, I was just unsure about that one command. It's okay though and thanks for the help. And about Greyknight's file, are you saying he can create a file that will add the .inf install command for me, because that'd be great.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
sorry if I didn't give you enuff credit dude. :tazz:

Exported portions of the Windows Registry have the .reg extension. When you edit the Registry, these files serve as small, targeted backups of the portion you'll be working on. Click Start, Run, type regedit, press Enter, navigate the tree pane on the left (or use the Edit, Find feature), and click the section of the Registry you plan to edit. Choose Registry, Export Registry File, make sure that 'Selected branch' is highlighted, specify a name and a location to store it in, and click Save. The settings for that portion of the Registry will be saved as a file with the .reg extension. If you make a boo-boo, you can restore that portion of the Registry to its prior state by double-clicking the backup file and then following the on-screen prompts. You're not likely to encounter a problem with .reg files that you make yourself, but beware of unknown or unsolicited .reg files! If you merge a corrupt, outdated, or malicious .reg file, you can damage your Windows settings.
see http://www.pcworld.c...d,113758,00.asp

So yes greyknight can make such a file for to merge with your registry. I'm not brave enough and only a student here and would rather leave it up to staff/experts/ et al.

By the way I disable that on my machines since it could be dangerous. Kids play with my machines and I might have reg files here which don't belong to my machine. Don't want any mishaps I gotta deal with latter.

SblDude9889

SblDude9889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It's cool, I was just kidding with you. Also I searched around for some more Microsoft Advice pages like the first one you found and I'm ALMOST through the command line of the Install command. There are so many sidesteps in it though, that I'm just about ready to say 'Screw it!' and let Greyknight do it, he probably knows more about this than I do anyway. Thanks again.