Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop will not power on after video glitches

• Please log in to reply

Neo31801

Neo31801

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi again, back for more help!

I had a friend bring me a HP TX1000 laptop to put a clean install of Vista on. I charged it up and turned it on and all was fine, so I set it to the side for a few days to finish some other projects.

The next time I powered it on it went to the log in page fine,but after selecting a user (with admin rights) it took a while for the desktop image and icons to pop up and shortly after I seen the shortcuts and bg image the video started flickering and artifacting ,got to the point it looked like a scrambled cable channel. Since I couldn't see to shut it down properly I disconnected the battery from the laptop. Now when I try starting the laptop, all the lights come on for about a second or two and go right back off.

Did I do something bad by taking the battery out? Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated...I was simply doing a favor and now may be stuck with replacing this computer!! :D

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Now when I try starting the laptop, all the lights come on for about a second or two and go right back off.

Well I am sure you do not need me to confirm that, it is not a good sign.
It sounds to me as though it may have overheated. It then boots, a capacitor during the overheat has gone.
When you apply power the capacitor then works, but as sson as it gets warm, it again goes open circuit.
As you obviously know the power switching on a laptop is inside the computer on the circuit board rather than as in a desktop on a separate PSU.
My guess is that the flickering image was the start of it and the rest was the result.

However my first line on this would be to startup, immediately hold down the power button, disconnect power and battery in that order. Continue holding down the power button for a full thirty seconds. Reconnect battery and power in that order.
I do not expect it to work but it is worth the long shot.

Also try with just AC power and then just battery.

I would then take out the hard drive and place it in an enclosure and run a disk check on it.
I would then connect an external monitor to eliminate inverter fault.

If after this it is still no go
and you cannot even get into setup etc., then as far as the resources of this site are concerned I think, regretfully it is a no go.

Have you checked the vents and indeed the fan depending on accessibility.

I did not know when I typed this reply just how common that problem is on these laptops
http://forums13.itrc...hreadId=1245319

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 March 2011 - 03:13 PM.

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
thanks for the reply...i done some further research after i posted this and found this:

http://www.nvidiaset...ctedmodels.html

after talking to the owner of the laptop there was an issue with the wifi (the fresh install i was going to do was an attempt to fix this) and the gpu

looks like this model , as well as several others, were involved in a class action lawsuit due to this exact problem...i found hundreds of articles with owners complaining about this exact same issue

unfortunately the deadline for filing a claim for a replacement laptop was yesterday....

looks like i just had possession of it at the wrong time...lucky me

any ways thanks once again, and wish me luck with the owner!!

just seen your edit! looks like we have stumbled on the same threads

Edited by Neo31801, 15 March 2011 - 03:26 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Yes those same details were on the link I sent you.
Did you see that some people had success uninstalling the wireless card.

AND I would still run my suggestions

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 March 2011 - 04:02 PM.

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
i had already tried to release the stored power the way you mentioned to no avail...i believe i will wait to here back from the owner before going inside the laptop

ive only worked on and built desktops, so if i decide to go inside this youll be seeing more of me :D