Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSODs on W7. Is it SP1 or RAM fault?

• Please log in to reply

netule

netule

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, it seems the blue screens kept appearing. The drivers still show some conflict with SP1 - my supposition though.

This weekend I'll reinstall the W7, install SP1 and then the drivers. If the errors will still be present I'll reinstall W7 and forget about SP1. I guess I can live without SP1, right?

I'll post back with my findings.

PS..this is the way the corporates are trying to make you buy a new PC, right?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
good luck and let us know how it works...

netule

netule

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I reinstalled the W7 OS four times. With and w/out SP1. The last install was an image of the system taken just before the new RAM came - I don't know what went throuh my mind when I did that but I am glad I did. Every time, after a few hours of working the BSOD appeared .

I am sending the RAM back to the shop I bought it from for them to test it.
I don;t know what else to do and it;s taking way too much time and nerves.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for whatever reason your system doesn't like the additional ram...could be a variety of reasons...
some setting in the bios...different timings n the ram...yada yada...
this may be one of those case's of ...if its not broke don't fix it

netule

netule

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've sent the RAM to be tested by the shop's service. They found no error too.
I wanted to make sure that I did not miss something when I tested myself the RAM with the stress-test. Another opinion wasn't a bad thing to do since it was for free also. The shop provided no charge for shipping to and back the product. It cost me one week time only.

In the meantime I read another forum where a guy fought with a similar problem for more than 6 months. With the help from the site's professionals they came to the conclusion that either some drivers or some software were causing this fatal errors.

Because my PC is so old and Fujitsu and Intel do not support anymore the old driver database I can not do much change here than to go back to XP - wich I don't want to. I prefer to save my work, open as few programs as possible and wait for the unexpected to happen, if so is its will.
W7 finds a video driver suitable for my on-board card but I have a wide-19" monitor and that driver does not have the appropriate resolution, 1440x900, available.

That user seemed to have solved his problem by removing Daemon Tools Lite (virtual drive) and Utorrent. They were saying Demon Tools are renowned for causing such problems in some specific strange hard&software-configuration..spooky. So I uninstalled them both.

It's been a week by now and had no BSOD yet.

I use Vuze now (ex-azureus) and even if its memory consumption is much higher than utorrent, there hasn't been any other conflict.
For the virtual drive I'll search smth else, maybe nero, I don't know yet.
I'll install new software programs with some time-space inbetween in order to observe if the whole system accepts it.

Anyway, I'm ready for another crash and I already got the reflex of frequently saving my work.

Hope it will help others too and hope I've exorcised this "bsod" ghost.

Thx and all the best