Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help With Picking a good Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Ray51383

Ray51383

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone
i am looking for some help in getting a new video card for my new desk top. im not looking spending a ton of money but i want a good one the desktop is a Asus Cg8350-04 i won it as a prize and i haven't been doing anything with computers and games in a wile i have been playing on the consoles but with winning this computer i want to get back into the computer games but its been a while so im a little out dated on what is a good video card and what is not a good one but i know the computer is a good one i just cant run the games i want to play on the high settings i play games like world of warcraft right now but i want to play other games i only get like 30 fps on medium settings right now and a guy i work with says he gets 60 on ultra settings but he has a $300 video card but the specs on the computer are below if anyone has any ideas please let me know i would like one with HDMI due to me using my 32 inch HD tv as my monitor i believe the mother board has PCI Express due to the computer being released less than 2 months ago

Asus CG8350-04

Intel Core i7-2600 Quad Core Desktop Processor 3.4Ghz
8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 Memory
1TB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
16x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
Intel HD Graphics 2000 Integrated Graphics
Intel HDA 7.1
32" 720p HD TV Connected with HDMI

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Ray51383 :D
If you could provide the details of the PSU (power supply unit) it would help us to make a more appropriate suggestion, some GFX cards are power hungry and require a PSU with a minimum output of 450W and 28A on the 12V rail for example.
Based on the fact that your computer has an onboard video chip and not an add on video card I suspect the present PSU is a generic 300 to 450W type which would be ok for running this card http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130580
Computer suppliers and commercial builders use generic type PSUs to keep costs down and quite often upgrading the GFX card cannot be done without also upgrading the PSU, also worth noting is micro systems and small form factor computers may only have 180 to 250W PSUs.
Hope this helps, let us know your PSU specs or if you require any assistance.

Ray51383

Ray51383

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well the PSU i have no idea on what it is. the warranty seal is in tact and in the book it says if that is broke with out being a authorized person it will void the warranty. every where i have found anything about the computer says that if i plan on getting a new card i will more than likely need a new psu as well if over a $200 card so what i was going to do is get an idea on what card to get then go get it and have best buy install it, that or call asus due to talking to one of the people at best buy and them saying some companies dont care if its opened so i have to call and make sure the one i got is not part of the sandy bridge chip set recall and find out if i am able to go into the computer but thanks alot for the help on the card

if anyone knows a way to find out the PSU size with out opening the computer then let me know and i will post that also

Thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Well the PSU i have no idea on what it is. the warranty seal is in tact and in the book it says if that is broke with out being a authorized person it will void the warranty

From your computer specs: The 13 kg system is powered by a 400W or 500W PSU
The seal will need to be broken to fit any add on card, the invalidation statement is normal for any manufacturer but it is sometimes unreasonable as in fitting an add on card or additional sticks of Ram, swapping out a PSU is technically more difficult but well witin the capabilities of most computer users, fitting a new GFX card will take you no more than 15 minutes but speaking to Asus is a sensible approach but having to pay Best Buy to fit the card would be unfair IMO.

Computer systems maker ASUS today added an interesting gaming desktop to its otherwise portable systems heavy computer lineup. The newest addition to the ASUS stable is the Essentio CG8350-04, an out-and-out gaming PC that is based on Intel’s new Sandy Bridge chips.

The gaming system packs in some of the best available components and carries brute power under the hood. Gamers are given a choice of Intel’s latest Core i7/Core i5/Core i3 Sandy Bridge CPUs to choose from. There is also a built-in Intel H67 Chipset, with support for 4 x DIMM Dual Channel DDR3 1333 MHz memory slots. So gamers can load up to 8GB of memory on to their systems.

ASUS is also giving gamers the freedom to include a discrete graphics card, but the choice is limited to NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX460 1G, GTS 450 1G, GT430 1G and GT420 1G cards. For storage, the system has lots of space with 3 HDD bays that support up to 6TB capacity. ASUS has left nothing out for connectivity either and gamers will have every possible connectivity option they might require including USB 3.0.

The 13 kg system is powered by a 400W or 500W PSU and is already available for customization and shipping. There has been no official word from ASUS on pricing, though the base configuration can be expected to cost around $900.
If you are able to establish that the present PSU fitted is 500W this http://www.newegg.co...1-415-_-Product would fit your requirements.