Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System has abnormally shut down a few times recently

• Please log in to reply

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for the info and link. I wanted to ask one last question. In the SpeedFan program, I clicked the Configure button. For the item that has the high temp, the Chip description is F71882F. I did some googling. It associated with Fintek ( I assume a company name). Do you know what this is?

Thanks,
Leif

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A little research and this is what I found...

That's the "Fintek F71882F Super IO chip

Could be the cpu, memory or northbridge on the motherboard.

You could try this to verify the temps.

Motherboard Info:

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished

Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on the Motherboard directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply
On the left side click on the Sensors directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply

http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Here's the motherboard information from SIW

Property Value
Manufacturer DELL Inc.
Model 0X501H
Version A03
Serial Number ..CN697020520176.

North Bridge Intel X58 Revision 13
South Bridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) Revision 13

CPU Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 1366 LGA

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 24576 MBytes
Memory Slots 6
Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

I've attached a screenshot from SIW

Leif

Attached Thumbnails

• SIW_ScreenSHot2.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now the CPU and Video temps look great. Along with the other temps and voltages the system is looking great.

The sensor in question looks to be part of the mobo and most likely is either memory or the northbridge.

How many fans do you have installed on the system and is there one directing cooler air over the memory?
Just by chance do you have 3 memory modules installed?

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,

Quick update. I just got off the phone with Dell. I have to say they were great. I didn't wait for a long time. They've ordered me a new heat sink, fan and motherboard. When the parts come in, a tech support person in my area will contact me to do the installation.

Leif

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WOW that is great. Did they agree it seemed to be the north bridge on the motherboard?
They are going to have their tech support install it for you?

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
<<Did they agree it seemed to be the north bridge on the motherboard?>>

They didn't do as an extensive investigation as you did. I gave them a lot of the information that you had me post. The event viewer information seemed to get things moving in the direction of replacing the parts. I think the helpdesk person was pleasantly surprised by all the info I provided (maybe a little over whelmed initially). So in answer to your question, he didn't narrow it down to north bridge on the motherboard. I think he just came to the conclusion that there is a problem on the motherboard, just replace the whole motherboard.

They are going to have a technician come to my home an install the new parts. This is covered by the warranty.

Leif

Edited by Leif W., 27 March 2011 - 12:45 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

They are going to have a technician come to my home an install the new parts. This is covered by the warranty.

Great news for sure and another good feather in the hat of Dell support for sure.
I would have to agree that the support person saw the same issue we discovered and that is why they are replacing the items. Good work and please let us know what happens once they repair the system. See if you can get them to write down in detail what they found and\or suspected the issue to have been.
I for one would be interested to know if our investigation shows the same issues they found for the replacement. :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
LeifW

Good news.
Pleased that we helped in some small way.

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi All,

I just wanted to post a follow up. The Dell technician came over to work on the PC. First he checked and found that all the fans were working. I gave him all the information that you had me uncover. When I explained that you thought the issue might be with the Northbridge chip set, he seemed to think that might be the issue as well. So he replaced all motherboard, fan heat sink and just to be safe the power supply as well. He said basically I have a new PC except for the video card and hard drive. He did this very quickly I might add. I've run the SpeedFan program a few times and it definitely runs cooler. Here's a screen shot from the most recent run. While I was not looking forward to dealing with Dell tech support, I gotta say they did right by me.

Thanks,
Leif W.

Attached Thumbnails

• FinalSpeedFan.jpg

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thank you for being so thoughtful as to post the update.
I am so pleased that things worked out well for you
Hope NOT to see you gain too soon, on the site - at least not with a problem, but enjoyed helping in some small way, although of course it was rshaffer61 who did most of the work.
Regards
Macboatmaster

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes thank you for the update and it is great to hear that the Dell tech also seemed to agree with our diagnosis of the issue.
Hopefully now everything will run correctly for you with like you said a brand new system.
Your temps do indeed look much better now.
Dell techs are very good when they open their minds and accept the fact that not everything is a user error issue. I'm glad to hear they took such good care of you.
Please let us know in a couple of days how the system is running and then we can consider this topic resolved.