Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Problems

• Please log in to reply

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just got my last component for my new computer and have been putting it together. When I got it all ready to go, I plugged it in, turned it on, and the fans kicked on and I heard the blueray drive spin, but there was no video. I was using the onboard VGA port. So I switched to the onboard HDMI port and still nothing. How can I figure out what is happeninng?
Specs
I have an Asus P7H55-M Mobo, with an i5 core. and 4 gig Sector 5 ram. My 700w power supply has a 4 pin power connector that goes into my mobo's 8 pin slot, is that enough power to power the board, or do I need the 8 pin connector? What should I try next?

Thanks for your help!
Joshua

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this your motherboard?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are the two connections indicated connected right?

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah that is my motherboard, and yeah I have those two plugs plugged in, but I do NOT have that black plug in the 8 pin socket that blocks 4 of the pins. Is that necessary?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That may be the video connection.

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
do you mean that you think that the motherboard video connections are shorted or something? Is there anyway to test this? do I just send the motherboard back?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No the connection cable you are referring to sounds like the power connection for a PCIe video card.
Check this tutorial HERE to make sure you have the power connections right.

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yep everything is good to go, the video card connectors and 6 pin connectors, so I have the 4 pin connector in the correct 8 pin slot, which I read about and they said that the 8 pin isn't necessary, only helps reduce pin burnout with overclocked cpus. What next?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,794 posts
If I may chip in Ron!

From the OP:

My 700w power supply has a 4 pin power connector that goes into my mobo's 8 pin slot, is that enough power to power the board, or do I need the 8 pin connector?

See .jpeg.
EPS12VEPS12V is defined in SSI, and used primarily by SMP/multi-core systems such as Core 2, Core i7, Opteron and Xeon. It has a 24-pin main connector (same as ATX12V v2.x), an 8-pin secondary connector, and an optional 4-pin tertiary connector. Rather than include the extra cable, many power supply makers implement the 8-pin connector as two combinable 4-pin connectors to ensure backwards compatibility with ATX12V motherboards
Check the attached link for information on the adapters that are available in order to create an 8 pin 12V MB supply;

You can plug a 4 pin 12 volt power cable into an 8 pin EPS motherboard connector but there's no guarantee that it will work. If the motherboard expects only one 12 volt rail then a 4 pin 12 volt cable may work. If the motherboard expects two 12 volt rails (many dual CPU motherboards require one 12 volt rail per CPU) then it won't work

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go ahead Phil and if your instructions do not help then proceed below. BTW I missed that in the pic to be honest. :D
OK then we need to try and backup here for a minute. You put the system together yourself and made sure there were no standoffs in the wrong places between the motherboard and mounting plate?

Lets try a motherboard bench test to see if there is a issue there.
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

Advertisements

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, church, family dinner, and time with the kid done! I just did the first test IN the case, then the test OUT of the case...still nothing. I accidently put the RAM in the wrong DIMM and the board beeped at me so I switched it. Then The fan turned on, but no video. Now what?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well seeing you are getting power to the motherboard since I take it the cpu fan is turning correct?
That being the case then the next option would be to try a different monitor.
By chance did you try plugging the 4 pin connector in where Phillpower2 suggested above in post 9?

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
From reading and Re-reading post #9 I couldn't see an alternative option of plugging that 4 pin plug in anywhere else than the 8 pin slot. Maybe you could clarify what he meant? My motherboard didn't come with one of those black plugs that fill in the extra 4 slots as shown in his picture though. Do you think I might need one of those? As far as the Monitor is concerned, I just a TV to connect to my old computer and have tried the VGA slot which I use for my old computer as well as the HDMI slots with no success. Do you think I need to try another monitor? Also should I try running down and buying a powersupply that HAS the 8 pin connector and trying that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

As far as the Monitor is concerned, I just a TV to connect to my old computer and have tried the VGA slot which I use for my old computer as well as the HDMI slots with no success.

I'm sorry but I'm not understanding. Are saying you tried the monitor on another system and it did not work?

JStonehocker

JStonehocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No I mean that I don't have a monitor, just a TV. I've got one but I loaned it to my brother in law.