Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE CANNOT DISPLAY WEBPAGE ISSUE

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi folks,

As usual I am not here for myself but for a lady friend in distress. Ok, first I will lay out the problem, then I will tell you what I have had her do, which none worked but it may give someone here a clue as to what is going on and what we need to do to fix the problem. First, here is her own words of what is going wrong:

"When I try to click on things on my desk top I get a notice stating that I/E can not display the webpage. It tells me there may be a conection issue
and to reboot. I do and I can do one thing.. like go to facebook, or to my bank or something. I can NOT click on any links. It gives me that i/e can not display the web page.
I have attempted to restore and it wont do it, says it was unable to do so, TODAY, I created my own restore point, 3/2 @ 2 am and it did restore, but the problem persists I have now figured out that I can play a game for approx 3 min, before it hangs up. But I have to reboot and begin again after that.

What I have done:
Spent time on the phone with 1 and 2 level techs with Cox (ISP).
They had me do the usual things, restart, unplug, d/c the internet connection and run complete scans with my PC tools and malwarebytes.
I ran system configure.
I checked the isp addy for them.
They checked and rechecked my modem and its fine."

OK, that was her words. I then talked to her on the phone and basically she reboots her computer which it does and then she opens up her browser and every time after about 3 minutes OR if she clicks on a link it will give her the message "IE cannot display the webpage". Basically she cannot enjoy the internet. Her connections are good, her modem has been tested. She not only had this problem with IE but also with the Firefox browser as well.

So here is what I had her do:

1) Boot into Safe Mode and click on "Last Known Good Config" - FAILED TO SOLVE

2) Boot into Safe Mode and do a system restore - FAILED TO SOLVE - The system restore would try but it always came up "failed to restore" which is really odd.

3) Had her go to this address: http://support.micro...r_crashes/en-us and run the FIX IT program - detected no issues - FAILED TO SOLVE

4) Had her go to Control Panel>Network & Internet>Internet Options>Advanced>,
and scrolled down a long list until she found "security settings," and I had her UNCHECK these 3 boxes:

-check for publisher's certificate revocations
-check for server certificate revocations
-enable intergrated Windows authentication

FAILED TO SOLVE ISSUE

So, we are stuck and need some help from you gurus!!! Here is some other information for you.

windows xp 2002 professional service pac 3
e machine
Cox communications (ISP)
2.21 ghz 1.00 gb of ram
amd 64x2

Also plenty of HD space as she only stores pics on her computer. The machine will not allow any system restores at all...they all fail. I believe she has no disk neither.

So......HELP!!!!! LOLOLOL Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

"When I try to click on things on my desk top I get a notice stating that I/E can not display the webpage

Can you explain that a little further please.
Are you telling me that when you open a desktop shortcut, to a program etc - it reports that the webpage cannot be displayed?
I am sure I am missing something but I would ask you to clarify the statement.

Please reply to the above and the following
1. What anti-virus and firewall is installed.
2. Start IE with no add-ons, that is start, programs, accesories, system tools - IE - No add-ons - how is it then.
3. Go start, run, type "cmd" and ping your search provider ie: www.google.com
Are 4 sent and 4 received.
4. Go My Computer right click the hard drive, click properties, click tools, click error checking, click check now, click to check the file system errors box and click start, agree to run on restart.
Please do not interrupt it.
On completion go Event Viewer, application in left pane, scroll to Winlogon, open it and obtain the chkdsk results - any file errors please, except the usual minor inconsistencies.
5. Go Start, run and type "sfc /scannow". If it requests the CD, click retry and if it asks again click ignore. If it asks more than three times post back and we will circumvent the requirement for the CD.
6. Download this.
http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25
Run on the Main tab for IE and the Firefox tab after.
IF YOU CHECK ALL which is the best option ensure she has any saved passwords for websites. She will have to renter them.

Reply pls with how it is and the asnwers to the questions.
If it still failing the connection I will provide another download to further analyse the possible cause.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 March 2011 - 06:22 PM.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank you for the quick reply. I took her through all the steps via the telephone tonight so here are the results.

1) The only desktop items that caused the problems were and shortcut that opened a browser. All her other programs tested fine. I had her open and test notepad and wordpad and all is ok. Only her shortcuts to websites cause the malfunction.

2)Her anti virus is PC TOOLS internet security. I had her set it off for 60 minutes while we did the testing. Her firewall is the standard windows XP firewall, from what she says.

3)Had her start IE with no add ons - FAILED TO SOLVE PROBLEM

4) Had her ping Google and her own computer - 4 sent and 4 received on both pings!

5) Had her check the file system errors box...then she restarted the computer and at boot got this message: The system has recovered from a serious error - a log of this error has been created ..please tell microsoft about this problem. What this mean't, neither of us know. Could not locate any EVENT VIEWER to obtain the chkdsk results???? In any case had her open her browser to test if anything was fixed and after a few clicks the browser failed with the same error message of "IE CANNOT DISPLAY THE WEBPAGE." She then has to reboot the whole computer just to use the browser again, just to have it do the same thing over and over.

6) Had her go to Start, run and type "sfc /scannow" and it asked for the CD...we did this 3 times on retry. WILL NOT move forward without the CD.

7) Had her download ATF-Cleaner.exe and run it. Then we parted ways and I awaited a message from her. She wrote and said it cleaned up a ton of stuff, but the problem did not get repaired in the process - FAILED TO SOLVE ISSUE

So there ya go....hope that answers what you need to know. How shall we proceed?

Thank you much ;-)

peace out,
daddy

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I think you may have done something wrong with the chkdsk.
You go start.
You open My Computer
You right click the hard drive, normally that will be C drive.
The one you want is the one on which Windows is installed.
You then click properties - the last entry on that right click
You then click the Tools tab at the top of the window that opens
You then click on Error checking the check now button
On that window that opens this time click to check BOTH boxes - see my screenshot
You then click start.
A message will appear asking you Do you wish to run on restart.
Agree and restart the computer.
DO NOT INTERRUPT THE CHECK it is a five stage check.
Post back when completed and I will send separate instruction in more detail to get the results.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 March 2011 - 06:48 AM.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Completed...she tested browser and it is still the same. Waiting for your next step ;-) Thank you so much

peace out,
daddy

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, click Application on left pane and then on main window scroll down until you find the first listed from the top Winlogon entry.
Double click that entry and post your chkdsk results,

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi and thanks again. I had her do it but she could not figure out how to copy and paste the info to a text file so she took 4 sceenshots and sent to me of which two of them turned out at an unreadable resolution. I thought there was a "to text" file button on the viewer? Anyhow, I should have you the info later tonight.

Quick question: When you do a "ping" and it shows back 4 out and 4 in, that means your modem and connection are good, correct?

Also, I just posted another issue with MY OWN old computer which I am selling, but I can't sell in it's present state. If you have time maybe you can help me with that issue as well. It's a USB port problem and a boot to BIOS problem.

Thank you for all you do ;-)

peace out,
daddy

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
All I am really interested in on the chkdsk results are was there any bad sectors found and aprt from minor inconsistencies was there a report of file errors.

When you open that winlogon to the right hand side are up and down arrows below that is a page type symbol, left click that and then right click to paste.

The ping shows your connection is good but it does not mean that your settings are correct to actually open a web page.

The matter on your own computer will I am sure be responded to but at this time I have seven threads running., on here and another site I work on.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 March 2011 - 12:20 PM.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Got a reply back from her that everything is now working fine, so hopefully something you helped her do along the way cleared something up??? Wish I knew which particular step was the key so I could learn from this or maybe it was ISP problems but the pings always were successful.

Thank you for your time again ;-)

peace out,
daddy

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well effectively all we did was a chkdsk and a system file checker.
The main thing is it is apparently solved.
I did post on your other matter.