Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing secondary hard drive

• Please log in to reply

eoincruiser

eoincruiser

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, i have took a hard drive from an old laptop that is no longer needed and would like to put it into my desktop. I do not need any files from the hard drive, i just want to use it for additional storage as my desktop hard drive is near full. My desktop hard drive is IDE and the laptop one is SATA, when i connect the laptop hard drive and boot up my computer it says detected new device and i can see it in my computer, altough after about 1 minute it disappers, when i right click my computer and go to manage and disk management the drive is not there so i am unable to do anything there, if i go to device manager the drive is listed here. I cant find a way to format the drive so i can use it. Any help would be appreciated, and if you need any other details i will be here the rest of the night.

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi eoincruiser,
To securely fit a laptop HDD which is only 2.5" in size into a desktop HDD bay which is 3.5" in size you will need to purchase an adaption kit/cage, to avoid all the hassle consider using a far easier option; http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817816001
Can I ask why the old laptop was no longer needed as in was it broken (possible HDD issue) and have you checked the status of the HDD in the BIOS, is it listed and if so where in the boot order.

eoincruiser

eoincruiser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply philpower2, i have got a bay for 2.5" drive so it fits into the desktops 3.5". The old laptop had power issues, bought a cheap charger and went up in smoke, i dont think this would have affected the hard drive as the laptop still worked when not plugged into the charger. I have checked the start up settings and it is listed there, the order is cd rom, then desktop hard drive and then the new hard drive. Also i have since restarted my computer and the hard drive is no longer listed in the device manager either.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Put the 2.5 drive back in the laptop and format the drive using one of these
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Seatools for dos is as good as any.
Then put it back in the desktop.
It will then very likely be seen in disk management

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 March 2011 - 04:25 PM.

ctshnic

ctshnic

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
just buy a new hard drive there not that much money or upgrade and go to ssd

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ctshnic the topic is not about replacing a drive but how to use the 2.5 inch drive in a desktop system. Please reply with advice appropriate to the topic.