Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can Malwarebytes Program Contain a Trojan?

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Unsure what to make of this. My anti-virus program is Avast. Today while running a scan on my computer with Malwarebytes, Avast alerted me to the following:

MALWARE BLOCKED

avast! File System Shield has blocked a threat.
No further action is required.

Object: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{444...\A0111744.exe
Infection: Win32:Trojan-gen
Action: Moved to chest
Process: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

The threat was detected and blocked just before the file was executed.

So, does this mean there is a trojan of some sort hiding in my Malwarebytes program?

Advertisements

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts
  • MVP
Hi,

You don't have to worry here. Your Avast is acting WHILE malwarebytes was scanning.
The mailicious item is C:\System Volume Information\_restore{444...\A0111744.exe here, so while you were scanning with malwarebytes, it detected that item, but since you also have Avast running as a realtime scanner, at the same time, it enumerates the entries that Malwarebytes is scanning and actually detects the same file. And that's why Avast lists C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware\mbam.exe as the process since this entry was intercepted by Malwarebytes :-)

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Hi,

You don't have to worry here. Your Avast is acting WHILE malwarebytes was scanning.
The mailicious item is C:\System Volume Information\_restore{444...\A0111744.exe here, so while you were scanning with malwarebytes, it detected that item, but since you also have Avast running as a realtime scanner, at the same time, it enumerates the entries that Malwarebytes is scanning and actually detects the same file. And that's why Avast lists C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware\mbam.exe as the process since this entry was intercepted by Malwarebytes :-)

Thank you for the reply and clarification. That makes sense now that you have explained it. Always nice to learn a little something whenever possible.

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts
  • MVP
You're most welcome :D