Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

curious about FF4

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you do as I did. I actually installed version 4 in a completely different folder of it's own.
I downloaded the installer and installed it into a folder named Mozilla Firefox4. This way I would still have my older 3.6 version but yet get the chance to basically test drive the newer version and check for any problems. As of this post I have found none and I'm very happy with the update as it stands.
You might try it this way to see and if it doesn't work then you just go into the above folder and click uninstall and you continue to use your older version.

Advertisements

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I suggest you do as I did. I actually installed version 4 in a completely different folder of it's own.
I downloaded the installer and installed it into a folder named Mozilla Firefox4. This way I would still have my older 3.6 version but yet get the chance to basically test drive the newer version and check for any problems. As of this post I have found none and I'm very happy with the update as it stands.
You might try it this way to see and if it doesn't work then you just go into the above folder and click uninstall and you continue to use your older version.

now Im surprised
I didnt know you could have two FFs on the same machine

dont they umm fight ?

Im not that tech savy :D
I for got to mention that my son's machine is win 7 with 2G ram ? it runs more smoothly than my vista on 3G ram although mine is generally trouble free for general use and the odd flash game

One thing's for sure Im at least now having that peace of mind that the pc wont die if ff4 got in accidentally . Just that the browser might not work on certain things until FF sorts it out

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

dont they umm fight ?

Nope because you don't run them both at the same time. I actually have both FF's installed along with IE.

I for got to mention that my son's machine is win 7 with 2G ram ? it runs more smoothly than my vista on 3G ram although mine is generally trouble free for general use and the odd flash game

Ram and OS are only part of the reason it may run better. The CPU also could be faster. The HD could be a larger capacity and also a faster rpm as well as more cache and buffer memory.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
thank you for your help . I have bookmarked this thread in case I need further infomation

I will talk to my son and see what he thinks

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I took a chance on my own machine and we are holding off for his

I like the way it looks

BUt where do I hunt for updates ?

I used to click help - search for updates ( to FF )

found it :D
is it possible to save the tabs you were last on if you close it ? This new version doesnt seem to

Edited by henny-penny-1, 26 March 2011 - 04:04 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually I just tried closing mine with 4 tabs open and it asked me if I wanted to save them.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
mine didnt for some reason

we kept my son's win7 on the older version until they iron out their bugs

my laptop seems to like this one better .. I like what I see . I think that incompatible add on is a minor issue for me as I can always run to ie8 for that .
Im currently taking it on an abuse trip .. 3/4 tabs .. heavy flash games .. it seems to handle the load just fine

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to hear that. The bugs for the most part should be worked out since the beta was released some time ago and has been in search and destroy mode for some time looking for bugs and other issues.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
i see the tab thing now

its under history

restore previous session

i guess thats on condition i havent cleared cache

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah I keep finding little things that are changed but after some adjustment for them I'm really happy with the new version.
What do you think of it so far and have you found anything besides little annoyances that have swayed you one way or the other on the new version?

Advertisements

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Nope I like what I see

I can understand why some cant use ff4

but this is the first time in a LONG while I didnt have to switch to chrome to play pets society lol

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

but this is the first time in a LONG while I didnt have to switch to chrome to play pets society lol

This is good news I take it? :D
As a suggestion I would leave 3.6 installed for about a week just in case but spend time with 4 and if after a week you see nothing serious wrong then I would say uninstall 3.6.
My goal is to uninstall 3.6 by this time next week and just run completely on 4.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Im completely on 4

didnt feel confident enough to handle both

not much of a heartache or loss as I have chrome and ie8 as a back up

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I've never used anything but IE and FF.
I changed over to FF years ago and have never gone back to IE except for my windows updates.
With Vista and Win7 the windows update is integrated into the OS so IE is not really needed anymore for that.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Day two of abuse

its taking the load just fine

I will stick with it and if I run into problems I guess I can always whine for help :D

thanks so much everyone

how do I close a thread