Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP refuses to shutdown sometimes

• Please log in to reply

rc775

rc775

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Shuts down sometimes no problem, next time hit shutdown and computer freezes. What the heck? Started about 2 wks ago.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Started about 2 wks ago.

Hi -
First - Anything that you can remember from about the time that the problem started ? ?
Can you recall if any programs were installed or deleted at that time ? ?
Do you also have any internet problems ? ?

Just an extra check, go to Control Panel and click on Java (coffee cup), under the General Tab click on About -
The top line should read Version 6 Update 24 -

Thank You -

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Have you tried using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly?

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks for reply, ck'd and Java 6 update 22 is showing. No problems with internet connection, last night it shutdown ok, seems like something is stuck running not letting me shutdown, I might be wrong! I changed the bios to Power S1 state, trying to get puter to go to sleep/standby, which it has never done, after this started went back and changed back to S3.

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks for your reply, familiar with restore, but trying to hold off using for last resort, have added a couple of new programs, etc lately. Hoping this problem an easy fix without.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your java is out of date and should be updated due to security risks.
Just to add something on this, you may have a fluctuating power issue.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Already had installed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan.JPG

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am not certain about those voltages (OTHER THAN THE VBat) in speedfan so I will leave that to rshaffer61.

However what I do know is that you have Advanced System Care installed.
I have worked with you before and I apologise if it was not you, but I thought I mentioned this before.
You do not want this program on your computer
It involves a registry cleaner and these can cause all sorts of problems.
Additionally see this as I suspect it is Advanced system care from I/O bit
http://www.mywot.com...ecard/iobit.com

For general info on why registry cleaner are unwanted see the My Link on my signature notes and that includes the use of the registry aspect of CCleaner.

have added a couple of new programs, etc lately

What please.

ALSO are the time and date correct in windows as VBat shows 0 volts. Check your time and date in BIOS.
It appears your CMOS battery is flat.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 March 2011 - 07:35 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The voltages are within acceptable ranges so no problem there.

Jamin4u

Jamin4u

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When my XP box use to hang on shutdown, I did some research and UPH Clean fixed the problem.

Edited by Jamin4u, 27 March 2011 - 07:33 PM.

Advertisements

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
THANKS, describes my ever now and then problem, I will go this route, looks like is the fix.

No problem last 5-6 shutdowns since I posted.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good find Jamin4u and thank you for sharing it with us and rc775 for sure. :D
Rc775 we are glad to hear it did help resolve your issue and please let us know how it works out for you in a day or two. :D

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
"I have worked with you before and I apologise if it was not you, but I thought I mentioned this before.
You do not want this program on your computer".......

Yes, you advised me to delete the Iobit Security 360, which I did, but didn't mention the same for Advanced system care. I have used ASC for years and never had a computer problem ever. When my computer gets slow, I use some parts of it and BAM!, Instantly my computer is back to fast speed again for mos. I have read alot about the Iobit swiping programs, no good, etc. and don't think they are gods of computer world, but don't know of any other program/process that instantly restores my speed. Anyone with a better idea I would be glad to hear it!

Thanks for the reply,
Rick

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What exactly do you have Advanced System Care doing?
There are other programs that will do the same thing without the possibility of messing with the registry. I myself use to use ASC years ago but now use other programs so that I can ensure my registry is excluded from any possible tampering.

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
but now use other programs so that I can ensure my registry is excluded from any possible tampering.

Would like to know of the other programs, I would switch, but ASC really not a big issue for me, since rarely have problems and I spend a lot of time on internet, since dial-up was first available, but better is prefered!

Attached Thumbnails

• ASC.JPG
  • ASC 2.JPG