Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing an administrator account user in Vista

• Please log in to reply

marils

marils

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi,

I recently got my laptop fixed and repairers created another administrator account user on my computer - so now there are 2 administrators? I would like assistance please on how to remove the one they have created. When I go through control panel/users, there is no delete option for the administrator account that they have created as there is for mine. I have already tried some other options on the Vista support page run by windows but those options aren't available either.

Thanks.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi marils,

They may have enabled the built-in Administrator account that is not the same as the one you set up while installing Vista. I would not recommend deleting this account though it can be easily hidden once again.

Deleting that account will leave you with no way to repair your computer if something should ever happen to your only default administrator account that you had set up during the installation of Vista.

If you have your UAC (User Account Control) turned off, please go to Control Panel > User Accounts and turn it back on. This needs to be accomplished with an elevated command.

If you have never turned it off, please proceed as directed:

Reboot your computer and make sure that you are logged into YOUR Administrators account that you created when Vista was installed.

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > and right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator from the list. Click Continue in the User Account Control window that pops up. In the Command Prompt window type (or copy and paste) the following command and press your Enter key:

net user administrator /active:no

You will get the message, The command completed successfully. If not, try it again.

Reboot your computer once you see the message and you should only see your Account once again. If you have any trouble let me know and I'd be more then happy to guide you further.

Donna :D