Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen goes black when comp is turned on

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Mak-Quack

Mak-Quack

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My Laptop has a virus so i tried fixing it using these steps "http://www.geekstogo...s-removal-tool" and when i got to the part where it said reboot computer, i did then after when i tried turning it on again the starting windos message would appear then the computer screen would go black, even when i tried putting it in safe mode it would still be black.....

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

Latest version: v3.1.46.0

OTLPENet.exe
MD5=79209302A1AFB2490808DB890A815CED
Size: 127,222,215b / 121.3MB

• Download this scan.txt to a USB drive [attachment=48688:scan.txt]
  • Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :D

• Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Double click the Custom scans and fixes box
  • In the dialogue locate the scan.txt you have on the USB
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

Mak-Quack

Mak-Quack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK well everyhting was going smooth untill i tried booting up my computer with the CD, it started running windows XP then after the loading screen fnished it took me too a blue screen with an error message 0x0000008E", saying "windows has shut down to protect you from a virus" or something like that, I tried going to the BIOS to change the setting but I guess sony has locked it because all i ahd access to was system date and time..... And as i read from other posts that, it can not be unlocked. So i really appreciate our help and the time and effort you put in, to help a stranger, But i was just wondering if i were to completely format my laptop would that get rid of the problem? (I know all my files would be wiped but theres nuthing that important saved to my harddrive anyways). If so can you give me the steps to do that ?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
For sure - what is the make and model of the computer ?

Mak-Quack

Mak-Quack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sony vaio (VPCEB24FD/B)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I have just read about how Sony locks out the BIOS - not a very impressive move if you ask me

Do you have a DVD with windows on it or did you not get one with the system

OK can you get to the safe mode menu ?

If so

Restart the VAIO and press "F8" repeatedly until the "Advanced Boot Options" screen appears. Click "Repair Your Computer" and then follow the recovery prompts on the screen

Mak-Quack

Mak-Quack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok well i dont have the CD, nor can i access safe mode, i tried repairing it like you said but it did not work, then i tried to restore system, but it said the system failed to restore due to blah blah blah, i read an article that you can restore the sony vaio completely without the CD, so i am going to give that a try, if it fails to work ill probably have to then buy the CD, ill let you know how everything goes,

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK could you post the link for that as it may come in handy

Mak-Quack

Mak-Quack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well heres the Link http://www.ehow.com/...-vaio-disk.html
I didnt need it though i did a memory check on the window you last took me too (which was the one i had to press f8 for) then when it was done the system restored itself i dont know how lol and now everything is back and working, I REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR HELP I WOULDNT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU, AND I LEARNED A LOT!,
YOURE THE MAN!!

P.s. the virus is gone too :D

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
And I have bookmarked that page, I must admit that a memory check to reboot the system did not even cross my mind... I will have to bear that in mind.

Do you want me to check the system for any residue or are you happy ?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.