Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

failed to query tcp ip settings of the connection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mistersteve

mistersteve

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I know there are loads of posts about this but i've tried everything that was suggested and didnt really get anywhere

I basically got a virus, reinstalled a fresh copy of windows xp professional and encountered this problem on a fresh copy. I cant connect to the internet and if i try and repair the network i get this error message:

failed to query tcp ip settings of the connection

I tried renaming the tcpip.sys file and that was fine. I got no warning, it didnt make a copy of itself but nothing changed.

I tried some sort of safe mode command thing which didnt work either. I have no clue what to do :D

I appreciate any help..thanks :D

Advertisements

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

reinstalled a fresh copy of windows xp professional

you will need to install the drivers - those are availble from the manufacturers website, you willto download on a working PC and copy then across to the faulty machine and install

post the make and model of the PC - if DELL it will also have a service TAG number on the PC somewhere

can we also see device manager - i suspect there are a few yellow ! or ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device Manager
Post back the results in device manager
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
windows 7
start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum,
------------------------------------------------------------------------

mistersteve

mistersteve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Its an old Acer Aspire e500-8D7E, Intel Pentium 4 820. Windows is copied as well nothing is legit...

The device manager says the 1394 net adapter is fine. The yellow ones are :

Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus

Ethernet controller

Video Controller

So I'm not sure where to get these and if they are the cause of the problem? :D

Thanks though

Attached Thumbnails

• scrnsht.JPG

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Windows is copied as well nothing is legit

I'm afraid I cannot help you here

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello there Mistersteve and etaf,

@Mistersteve,
Sadly we cannot help you with this machine as you say that you obtained your software illegally.
As per our Terms of Use;

The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

I am going to close this topic.

Regards,
Olrik