Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New router, 2 comps can connect, other cannot?

• Please log in to reply

Hollz

Hollz

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
So after going out as a family, we came home to find our internet was not working. We determined it was the router as when we directly connected to the modem we had internet again (plus we've had our router for a LONG time). So we replaced the router and got a Belkin Play Wireless, F7D4302. Our previous one was not wireless.

I ran the setup and everything seemed to work okay. My computer (running Windows 7) as well as my brother's (also 7) who is a few feet away from me are using wired connections. My friend on his laptop (Vista) behind me connected wirelessly. My father (Vista) has a LAN cable that runs down to the basement, but he CANNOT connect now. This is the same exact setup we used previously, and I can't figure out why we are connected but he is not. I can see everyone else in the network when I go to the network control panel. We've tried restarting his computer, re-plugging his LAN cord in and plugging it into a different port.

On a side note, I attempted to download a new firmware update for the router, and I think it updated? The browser got stuck on "restarting router" and I had already watched the light restart...and my computer somehow didn't have internet while the two behind me did. I ended up logging off/on my windows profile and then re-connected my LAN cable from the router and that seemed to do the job for me.

Any ideas how to get my father's computer connected from the basement? He has the oldest computer of all of us, and we are already setup for his wired connection but just cannot establish him in the network.

Advertisements

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Nevermind, figured it out! Comcast may have done something, brother figured it out! :D