Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

older version of quicktime could not be removed

• Please log in to reply

erin elizabeth1971

erin elizabeth1971

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i have tried installing the newer version of quicktime and it gives me an error message that says could not remove an older version of quicktime please contact technical support. well i have been to every web site and followed every fix i could find including ad remove programs (quicktime is not there)i was directed to use the windows instal clean up utility and it could not find it i even went into the registry and looked ofr anything quicktime and nothing it could not be found. still i get the same error message and nothing that anyone suggests on any forums works. what do i do i have things i do online that require quicktime but i cant install it to use them. boht microsoft tech support and apple send me in the run around because they dont seem to know what to do about this problem either. short of completely starting over by reformatting which would not only lose everything on my system but i cant as i dont have an install disk for windows xp anymore the disk disappeared and so that is not an option. any ides?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925

erin elizabeth1971

erin elizabeth1971

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok this makes me wonder if you read what i wrote at all. as i said i have done all the things that these support pages tell me to do. and still i get the same messages. none of these programs are on my system yet still i get the same error message. older version of quicktime could not be removed please see your technical support person. so this did not help at all. this is why i came here because i have followed all these steps and still i get the error. so let's try this again. what do i do when none of this works to solve the problem. there is no quicktime on my system nor in my registry there is no i tunes no ipod service no bonjour no apple updater not apple mobile device support NONE OF THESE PROGRAMS ARE THERE NOR IN MY REGISTRY so when this fails to solve the problem what is the next step?

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Could you remember the previous version number? Install that same version of QuickTime again, then uninstall it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
How many hard drives are on the computer, including external and on internal drives how are they partitioned.

Using Search Companion and including hidden files and folders search for word or phrase in the file under Apple and then under Quicktime.
Use separate searches pls. and on all drives suggesting you start with C drive and also ensure that it is set to search anywhere in the file, also checking that no file size or modification parameters are set.
Once you have done that I feel certain that remnants will be found somewhere.

additionally have you uninstalled ALL related quicktime Apple software ie: Bonjour etc.
For detailed steps on removing and reinstalling iTunes and related components on Windows XP, refer to the following steps:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925

Removing iTunes

Removing QuickTime

Removing Apple Software Update

Removing Apple Mobile Device Support

Removing Bonjour

Removing Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

Verify iTunes and related components are completely uninstalled

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 April 2011 - 07:47 AM.