Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word to PDF issue

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Not sure if this is the right spot for this but everytime I turn my document into a pdf using the 'save as pdf' option in a word document I get these balck squares where the logo were.

I am using Microsoft Office 2007. See image of what it looks like.

Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Advertisements

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
You'd think someone would have an answer!

http://computerhelpf...sue/t30957.html
http://www.pchelpfor...-pdf-issue.html
http://www.pchelpfor...-pdf-issue.html
http://www.cybertech...ad.php?t=214659

It could be how Word is converting the transparent element of the graphic images. Try saving the images in a different format before adding them to the Word document.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Have you tried using a pdf converter like CutePDF? That should work okay, although all free converters seem to mess up the original formatting to some degree or other.

By the way, there seems to be a delay with the email notifications on this forum, as I see this was posted a few days ago, yet I only received it in my inbox this morning.

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts

By the way, there seems to be a delay with the email notifications on this forum, as I see this was posted a few days ago, yet I only received it in my inbox this morning.

Hello Vanessa :D

I made my post just over two hours ago and ding dong's post was some eight hours before that.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ooops, my bad. I saw your 'surprised no one can answer this' and looked at the join date! Must be the anti-inflammatories I'm taking fuzzing my brain! Anyway, that's my excuse for being daft, and I'm sticking to it :D

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
We've all got our own excuses! :D

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
:D

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
No, I dont think it is how it is saved.

I sent the word doc to two mates who both converted it to PDF and it came back perfect.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm curious - how did they save it, and how did you save it? If you saved it in the same way, perhaps you might have an annoying little virus? :D

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
virus? no, now we are grabbing at straws - its a technical issue but u raise an interesting point - I will ask them how they saved it and get back.

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

No, I dont think it is how it is saved.

I sent the word doc to two mates who both converted it to PDF and it came back perfect.

If they saved either GIF or PNG formated images with transparency and do not have the same problem,then were they viewing the PDF file in a PDF reader like Adobe's or what. I see your images in the image you attached, but they look just like PNG images where the alpha channel is causing problems.

Possibly try swiching to a jpg format as a test and see if you have the same problem.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
one of my mates used cute pdf and the other just the straight pdf program. if my images can be converted by his program them why cant mine?

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Possibly if you copt/pasted images that is the problem. Inserting does make a difference, the best way is to insert the image using the "insert image" command. The original DPI used and the PDF converion DPI may be different is another guess.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
that still doesnt answer why my mates identical pdf program could conver the same word document without the balck squares....

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Not going to be able to answer that until you answer the questions asked. We're trying to help, but repeating the same question gets us no where until we know the steps that were taken. Maybe attach the Word document if it was saved as a Word document and then converted or attach the PDF file if you converted directly from Word to PDF.