Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireles router ?

• Please log in to reply

sazajo3

sazajo3

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I expect this is a goofy ?. My nephew wants to use his Ipad with a cisco wireless router.He has a dell 530s inspiron desktop without a wifi card. Question is does he have to get a card for the desktop or can he use his Ipad without his desktop having the card? I assume the dell has to be connected to the router for him to be able to use his Ipad but does the dell need to have a wireless card for him to get connected to internet with his Ipad?
thanks in advance for any assistance

Advertisements

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

My nephew wants to use his Ipad with a cisco wireless router.

so that should just work

I assume the dell has to be connected to the router for him to be able to use his Ipad

No the ipad is stand alone bit of kit

The question is how are you connected to the internet now - and how is the router going to be connected to the internet
whats the make and exact models of the devices you have now and the cisco router

how are you currently connected
is it like this
Telephone line or cable line ==> <modem> == > <cable> ==> PC
if not how

can we see an ipconfig /all from the desktop when its working on the internet

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste
------------------------------------------------------------------------

sazajo3

sazajo3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I don't have access to my nephews computer so I can't do ipconfig for you, but it's att dsl so I assume it's like mine the phone line goes into modem then ethernet out of modem to computer.the computer is a dell 530s inspiron, router is cisco e1000. I don't know the modem though it's att supplied. I would think the line goes from phone to modem to router and then to his dell.If that's the connection would he need a wifi card for his dell to be able to use his Ipad with this router to access the internet?

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
well in theory you should be able to connect the output from the modem (IF it really is just a modem and NOT a router as well - hence the request for an ipconfig /all )
to the internet connection on the router
now you can connect the PC to the router with the same type of cable as the modem to PC
and now you have wireless

if the modem turns out that it is a router then you will still be able to use the cisco router , just needs to be configured and connected differently

support site for the linksys router http://www.linksysby...e1000&HBX_OU=50

Edited by etaf, 30 March 2011 - 11:41 AM.

sazajo3

sazajo3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok He says the modem he has is a motorola mstatea.I can't find anything on the net to say that these are both router & modem. I would say it's just a modem. So from what I gather the desktop doesn't need the wireless card for him to be able to use the ipad(separate) with wireless router. They don't care if desktop is wireless he just wants to be able to use the ipad to access internet. He should be able to use the router with his ipad whether the desktop is wireless or not as long as it's conncected to the modem is that correct? thanks again for the help

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

They don't care if desktop is wireless he just wants to be able to use the ipad to access internet. He should be able to use the router with his ipad whether the desktop is wireless or not as long as it's conncected to the modem is that correct?

Yes, Dont need to actually own a desktop - unless i'm misunderstanding the reference to the desktop here

Edited by etaf, 30 March 2011 - 01:06 PM.

sazajo3

sazajo3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
he has a desktop also but was told it had to wireless for him to use his ipad with the cisco e1000 that he got so that answers the question thanks much

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

he has a desktop also but was told it had to wireless for him to use his ipad with the cisco e1000

i maybe missing something , what was the question that lead to that answer ?

sazajo3

sazajo3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the question was did the desktop need to be wireless for him to use his Ipad with the wireless router and unless I misread you he should be able to use his Ipad with the wireless router whether his desktop is wireless or not. But now that I think about it if the cisco e1000 is running from the modem and then to his desktop does that affect his desktop's ability to get internet? or does he now need a wireless card for his desktop?

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

But now that I think about it if the cisco e1000 is running from the modem and then to his desktop does that affect his desktop's ability to get internet?

no as I said in post #4 for PC read Desktop

now you can connect the PC to the router with the same type of cable as the modem to PC

Currently

<Modem> ==> cable to desktop

new configuration

<Modem> ==> <Router> ==> cable to desktop from one of the LAN connections on the router
<Modem> ==> <Router> ==> wireless to ipad or any other wireless device in house
All will have internet through the router - which gets internet from modem

Edited by etaf, 30 March 2011 - 04:06 PM.