Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change Windows 7 System Language

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Log2

Log2

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Changing The System Language On Windows 7

This will replace the language on the system, that is to say, you will not be able to switch the language back and forth, unless you repeat this tutorial with the proper language pack. It works on Windows 7, any version.

* NOTE * Microsoft will not supply the language packs for any language you need Ultimate or Enterprise for, therefore, you must acquire them through a windows update on ultimate, or find it through a friend or your own means. Languages not available on the Microsoft web site: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese simplified, Chinese traditional, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese Brazil, Portuguese Portugal, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, and Ukrainian * NOTE *

What You Will Need
1. Windows 7 any language, and any version
2. Command Prompt
3. Windows Language pack you wish to change it to

* Note * This may not change the entire system language, as you will be using a Language Pack (LP) as opposed to a Language Interface Pack (LIP) but I've never seen a word of Spanish on my system since

Step 1: Acquiring The Language Pack Of Choice
You will need to download a language pack to change the system language. Basically a language pack is created, and distributed by Microsoft for the ability to change the system language for whichever language you prefer.

Acquiring a language pack is simple, all you have to do is download it from Microsoft. Microsoft only distributes the languages that are available to anyone, you can find the list of available LP's ' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/languages"]Here, if you are not able to download the language you want, you will have to acquire it yourself through other means.

Step 2: Installing The Language Pack
Installing the Language pack is quite simple, you'll notice that the file you've chosen to download is in a weird .EXE file. Don't fret, what you have to do it simple, double click the file, it will create a new file for you in the same directory you saved the EXE file.

The new file you're looking for should be called: lp.cab or it might just appear as lp.

What you have to do is copy the file, and paste it into C:\ (This is just for ease of access later on)

Great! You're one more step along the way.

Step 3: Command Prompt?
That's right, we need to open up command prompt, some people may not know what that is, some might, what you need to know is how to open it!

There are several ways to open command prompt, we'll start with the fastest way.
Method 1:
1. Click on the Start button in the lower left corner.
2. Right above your mouse pointer, you should see a search box that says, Search Programs And Files, click there to make it active
3. In the newly activated search box, you should type: cmd, and it should list the program in the start menu
4. At the top of the list, you should see a black icon with cmd written next to it. Right click on the item, and select Run As Administrator
5. A new dialogue box should pop up asking if you want to authorize the use of cmd, click on Continue

Method 2:
1. Open a new window, or double click on my computer on the desktop.
2. Navigate to: C:\Windows\System 32\
3. Now scroll down until you see the programs beginning with the letter C
4. Find a program called cmd.exe or possibly just cmd
5. Right click the program and choose: Run As Administrator

You should now have a new window open up with a black background and a bit of text with it ultimately ending at a line saying: C:\Windows\System32>_ and there should be a flashing cursor.

Step 4: Changing The Language Pack
So now you have Command Prompt open, and you have your lp.cab file ready to go, all you want to do is change the system language. Well, good news, we've reached that step.

In command prompt, you need to type (Copy and paste wont work in command): dism /online /add-package /packagepath:c:\lp.cab

Remember that it needs to be copied exactly as it's seen there.

The file will now start to install, it can take up to about 10 minutes, but it shouldn't take that long. Wait for it to say Installed Successfully, then it should return to saying: C:\Windows\System32>_

Posted Image

That image should help out if I've lost anyone. Next we're going to have to play around in the registry to delete a key.

Open up the registry by holding down Windows Key and pressing R at the same time, and let go, a new dialogue should pop up called Run. In the new search field, type out: Regedit and then click on ok. A dialogue will pop up asking for access, click on Yes. A new window will now pop up with a lot of things you may or may not have seen before.

You should see a few hives called: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS, and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG.

We're going to click on the arrow next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. It will expand, and then you need to look for SYSTEM, click the arrow next to that, then find: CurrentControlSet, click the arrow next to that, under that should be Control, Click that arrow too, and find the hive called: MUI. Now under MUI you should see another called: UILanguages, click the arrow next to that and it will give you a couple folders. You should see whatever language you changed it to, and whatever language it was. For example: En-us and Es-es Right click on the language you just changed it from, and click Export and save it anywhere (This will create a back up if anything goes wrong) After it's saved, right click it again, and click delete.

Posted Image

Now you're main system will be in your chosen language! However we're not quite done yet, one more step

Step 5: The Startup Screen Didn't Change!
You'll notice if you restarted your computer at all that the startup screens language didn't change. Well the final step will fix that.

You'll need to open Command Prompt again, refer above if you forget how to.

Now you'll need to type: bcdboot %WinDir% /l en-us Now that line might need to be changed a little. First note that the /l is a lowercase L, and then you need to look at en-us and you will need to change that accordingly to the language you've chosen. If you don't know what the short form for the language you've chosen is, you can look at that exe file of the language pack that you downloaded way at the beginning of the tutorial, it should start out with Windows6.1 then there will be a dash, and it will list a knowledge base article, for example: kb972813 then it will list your processor bit rate x86 then it will list the language short code: en-us

So in command prompt you will need to place en-us with whatever you deciphered your language to be in short code.

That's it, all you have to do it restart the computer and it should be in a new language! Congratulations!

Advertisements

MichelleChan

MichelleChan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
quite useful , thanks for sharing

karinchi

karinchi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
how about for window xp and window vista? can you do the same thing?

gheec

gheec

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First of all thanks for a comprehensive explanation it was very helpful.

the trouble is i still have bit and pieces showing up in previous languages (russian, arabic)

i accidently removed the russian key in regedit so the arabic become defualt system language what a pain...

installed the language pack as stated above.

everything is in english except when i hover on the speaker icon, or network connectivity icon the hovering text is still in russian or arabic.

when i go into sound (speaker icon on quick access bottom right corner) on the general tab for sound systems and IDT HIGh definition audio codec the name of these devices (drivers) are still in arabic and 'internet access' icon is in russian.

is there anyway to change this ?

i tried regional setting, everything is english so don't think there is any possibility to fix that from there.

any ideas and help?

i have been trying to fix this all day today..so any help will be very much appreciated.

thanks dear geeks

Botervloot

Botervloot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks for sharing! Can there also come an guide for Windows 8?

Lojini

Lojini

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HI,
It was quite useful.but how do i get my language pack using windows update.I want to convert from korean to english..Everything is in korean so i am confused which is the english language pack..Could you please help me with that..Thank u in advance..

ChrisBoote

ChrisBoote

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Quality tut. Thankyou. Until I came across this method I thought it was only possible on Windows 7 Ultimate.

harrybrooks

harrybrooks

• Pip
  • 1 posts

WOW!  I was so glad to find your step-by-step instructions: I've been very frustrated because Dutch explanations for chkdsk+ never told me anything.  Unfortunately, the Dutch was not removed--English just became the number one choice on the startup black screen.

Plz tell me what else might be needed?!

ps1 when giving us type-ins for CMD, I missed one of the spaces on the first type-in...so I recommend you use (space) or that underscore character with small lines up on both ends of the underscore character--gosh I wonder where it is on the keyboard???

ps2 after a second reboot I noticed that I no longer see that startup screen where I have to chose Dutch or English

ps3 for the first time in years I am seeing chkdsk results in ENGLISH!  THANKS! shasha Arrigato Gracia mille! dankeshein(?) "cup-coon" in Thailand...

Edited by harrybrooks, 05 March 2015 - 07:59 AM.

leanhnam220+

leanhnam220+

• Pip
  • 1 posts

quite useful , thanks for sharing
Tiny tanks unblocked

tranbao123

tranbao123

• Pip
  • 2 posts

The same applies for win 8 ?

Tiny Tanks Unblocked Tiny Tanks Unblocked Tiny Tanks Unblocked