Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Problem

• Please log in to reply

EvaEva

EvaEva

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: Hi, I'm new to this forum, I've been reading a few posts so I think you guys might be able to help me. Here's my computer problem.

Earlier today I downloaded and installed soemthing called "TuneUp Utilities" at download.com. It's supposed to clean up and optimize your computer.
After installing and running a few of the features it has I noticed that it changed a few things in my computer, ie: when I click on my programs folder and open it there are alot more files visible than before. some used to be in subcatagories I think. My computer did run faster but I was conserned feeling that maybe the software might have messed up my computer a little.
I decided to read the negative reviews at download.com on the software. There were plenty.

So Basically at that point I then decided to do a system restore and put my computer back to a safe point from earlier in the day before I had installed that software. The system restore went through fine, but it looked like the only thing that changed was that the desktop icons of the tune up software were now gone. My program files still looked the same. So I figured that nothing had really been done. I then went to system restore and did a reverse system restore so that the system restore I just did would be like I didnt even do it. That way I thought that I would be able to just uninstall that software the right way and get rid of it and ten fix anything that it had done to my registry from there.
Well the reverse system restore finished and my computer restarted but it only brought up the blue windows xp screen. There was no place to login and my username wasnt there at all. Now I completely dont know what to do. I can get to safe mode using F8 but even in safe mode it only goes to the win xp main screen.
I can get to all areas in F8, maybe someone can help me from there. I have no clue what to do, the only thing I'm really worried about is losing all of my pictures of my family that I have saved on that computer, I used a digital camera so they are the only copies I have.

I have the computer next to me so I'll be able to work on it and also have this thread open.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

(I am using an emachine, I cannot find the xp disk but I do have the emachine rstore cd's, there are two of them. )

Thanks again, Eva ;)

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Eva, if you can get to safe mode try this:

http://support.micro...;304449&sd=tech

EvaEva

EvaEva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I read throught he info, I'm going to try it now.

I'll be right back to let you know how it goes.

Eva

EvaEva

EvaEva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried getting into safe mode with command promp but after i chose it on the F8 screen it just loaded back to that blue win xp screen with no place to login and no username showing.

What do I do now, is there any possible way to have a command prompt only without having to login.

Thanks, Eva

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
if worse comes to wors you can always make the HD a "slave" to a different "master" drive thereby allowing acsess to your pics through the "master" drive. so the pics are safe regardless.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
can you logon with your password of your account and is your account with administrative abilities?

If not like i think you are saying theres actually one other way to restore back. Do you have your CD with windows on it from microsoft or a restore disk from your computer manufacturer (E machine)?

if you do, you can try a in place repair install for xp.

Edited by djgotee, 28 May 2005 - 07:34 PM.

EvaEva

EvaEva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
There's no place to login at all, but yest my username is the admin.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
theres actually one other way to restore back. Do you have your CD with windows on it from microsoft or a restore disk from your computer manufacturer (E machine)?

if you do, you can try an in place repair install for xp.

or like the other gentleman says, if all else fails, you can remove the files you want from your harddrive placing it as a slave to another master in another computer that has xp, preferably with NTFS file system.

Then you would have to do a complete format and reinstall. Do your transfer of all important files first though, becaues formatting will delete them.

EvaEva

EvaEva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes I do have the emachines restore cd, there are two of them. How do I do that. I dont have the win xp disk right now( i have no idea where it is, i looked for it)

By doing an inplace repair, will I be able to save my personal data files.

How do I do the inplace repair using the emachines cds

Do I need to make any back ups, if so how or can i do it without.

Thanks so much, Eva

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok i figured you had a restore disk that came with emachines. Most manufacturers send thier own restore disk/s with the new computer. If the XP disk from windows is available, it means you bought a computer that was not from company like hewlett packard, dell, gateway and like in your case, emachines.

Next question, i dont know the proceedure that emachines has to restore and im wondering if anybody on this forum does. But if we dont, you can always call emachines and get your questions answered. Id hate to speculate and have you delete all your files because i told you somthing wrong. Ill say this though, there should be a way for you to restore and retain all your files, but iff not, youll have to do what we have suggested in this thread about placing your HD in another computer first.

When you are ready , and if you call emachines, they will tell you to make the CD device the first boot priority so the restore disk can be seen first on bootup.

EvaEva

EvaEva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I'll try working on it tomorrow.

Eva