Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A (VERY) alternative OS

• Please log in to reply

natchezjohn

natchezjohn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I really like the Chrome OS idea of a browsing (almost} only operating system. BUT the PartedMagic partitioning CD with only 120megs or so includes a Firefox browser and many other apps that respond very quickly and reliably.

Surely someone who is REALLY a Geek could get inside of parted magic and find a way to make it an OS that can tap into all those "clouds" being developed out there without the need to load linux kernels - etc.

It's WAY over my head but surely there is a someone out there who could.

Edited by natchezjohn, 31 March 2011 - 08:48 PM.

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
It is possible to build a browsing-only Linux with Linux From Scratch.
However, it is impossible to start a computer without a kernel to work the hardware.

If I have a lot of time I will certainly build one.

natchezjohn

natchezjohn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the hint.

I'll give it a go with LFS.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi,

LFS is a bit of a pain for a unexperienced user. Running in an environment for the build is a good learning experience but you have to pretty much be able to spend the time it takes to complete the build. The last time I built it it took about ten hours.

Pepprmint Linux is fast and light with a good selection of web and cloud apps pre-installed.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Peppermint Linux is quite big, over 450MB...
Puppy Linux is much smaller, and does the exact same thing.

about ten hours

Seriously? Ten hours?
Mine has been going for a full day, and yet to complete...

Edited by devper94, 02 April 2011 - 03:48 AM.

natchezjohn

natchezjohn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I surrender. Found a bunch of distros that do it. Xpud was the fastest to load and took a little longer than my Linux Mint 10 to get me to Firefox.

Mayhaps my hardware is just used to Mint, but in any case it may be a hopeless quest.

Edited by natchezjohn, 02 April 2011 - 04:19 PM.

BSI

BSI

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Another alternative to this that I have used on occassion is run a virtual machine such as XEN or VMware then use a browsing appliance. This is can use for all kind of web browsing and if it gets messed up I just make reinstall a clean version of the appliance. I have also used some of the other alternatives noted here as live cd's and done the same thing, such as Damm Small Linux and Puppy Linux. The only thing I don't like about the live CD is that it all runs on memory and there is not saving it unless you install it to the hard drive like any OS.

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
here's another if you feel like trying more.

http://www.jolicloud.com/

it's base of of Ubuntu so the d/l size is 600MB+

I've used it a little bit.

Nick2.0

Nick2.0

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Are you just looking for a browser OS? If you are, I found Splashtop OS. It boots in less than 15 seconds, and you can instantly switch to Windows from the toolbar. If I remember correctly, the size was around 150 mb.