Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System won't boot, restarts after splash screen BSOD 0x0000007B

• Please log in to reply

terms5

terms5

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My wife was surfing the internet and suddenly the computer rebooted. When it started up again it never got past the splash screen because it gets a BSOD and restarts. I disabled automatic restart and the stop code is:
0x0000007B 0XBA4C7524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000

The OS is Win XP 32bit and we haven't added any hardware/drivers, it just won't boot. :D
I have recovery console as a boot option if this is helpful since I do not have the original XP disc (Came preinstalled) Any ideas?

Edit: Sorry I forgot to add I cannot boot into safe mode/last known good config, etc.

I appreciate any help I can get, please let me know if I need to provide anymore information-- thanks!

Edited by terms5, 01 April 2011 - 01:18 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Basically the error means inaccessible boot volume - which means that Windows cannot locate the boot sector on gthe hard drive.
There are three main reasons.
1. A failed hard drive
2. File corruption particularly in the Master boot record.
3. other hardware failure.

Pls confirm you have tried Last Known Good on F8 although I do not expect it to work and obviously Safe Mode, altough that is even less likely.

Boot to recovery console and after selecting the Windows installation to repair at the command prompt
type "chkdsk C: /r" without quotes and presuming that C is hard drive carrying Windows.

Pls run that and when you reply pls indicate before we go further if there is valuable info you wish to secure. I am NOT suggesting a reinstall nut any attempted repair is not without risk and it is always wise to secure valuable personal data first.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 April 2011 - 01:47 PM.

terms5

terms5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for offering help, I just got home from work an hour ago, I am currently running chkdsk. It's been stuck at 50% for a good 15 minutes...

For confirmation last known good config and safe mode didn't work.

While I would like to be able to continue using this system with all my programs and preferences already set,(not to mention an OS that I can't reinstall since no install disc) when the problem first occured I used Hiren's boot cd to access my C: drive and got as much important things off as I could with the limited external HD I had. So there are still things on there that I wish I could save but it won't kill me if something messes up, I understand the risk.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Leave it for the time being it can stay at 50% for a long time as that is the 3 and 4 stage of the check.

I cannot make any comment whatsoever on Hirens - it contains unlicensed software and its use or discussion regarding it is banned on THIS and MANY other sites. In facts most sites of any reputation.

Please post the make and full model if branded. Also if it is branded please confirm you have the COA label on the case with the O/S insalled and the product key.
DO NOT OF COURSE post the details of that key.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 April 2011 - 05:11 PM.

terms5

terms5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry, I didn't know. I just googled data recovery and it offered a solution. I apologize for bringing it up.

I ran chkdsk and it fixed errors, however the bluescreen came back. I ran it one more time just to be thorough and my computer booted fine, albeit slowly.

The computer was made by a friend in college from newegg parts and an XP license I bought from my old university online store. Thank you for your help, I aappreciate it and let me know if there is anything else. :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please download this and run the program
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
Click the analyse tab and then as the message box indicates scroll down for the results.

Please copy and paste ONLY the actual crash dump analysis into your reply

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 April 2011 - 07:41 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A good boot cd we recommend a lot here at GTG is a Linux Live cd named Puppy Linux. As long as the HD is mechanically working then puppy should be able to access the data easily.

Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data:

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're doing this to recovery from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That was what I was going to offer you when I asked if you needed to secure your data.
Now you have your data using Hirens, and the system is now booting, please proceed with the crash dump analysis, just in case it offers any other clues to the inaccessible boot volume.
I suspect as it was repaired using chkdsk that it was file corruption. However it may have been an early indication of a failing hard drive and the chkdsk /r which includes a scan for bad sectors and attempted recovery of data from the bad sectors, which is then re-written to good sectors.
Chkdsk nor any other tool can repair bad sectors. We will carry out another test to see if that is the case.

In respect of Puppy from the Moderator, you would be well served by having this available, should you encounter problems again.

terms5

terms5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the linux boot info.

How do I do crash dump analysis? :D