Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Physical Memory Usage

• Please log in to reply

Elishiva123

Elishiva123

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi. I recently bought my dell laptop about 2 weeks ago or so. I first pulled up the Task Manager just for curiosity. I saw that both the CPU usage and the Physical Memory were right around normal ranges (from what I was used to with my XP Desktop). CPU anywhere from 4% to 30% and Physical Memory around 400-500 mega(whatsits). But lately for the past few days now it is running up around 1.13 to about 1.20 GB. Is there a way that someone here can help me to know what I'd need to do to fix things so it's not running that high anymore? Thank you everyone, I appreciate it. I have pictures of the task manager performance and processes tabs if you'd like to see them. Thanks again.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Can you post thos screen shots for me please?
Did you recently install a printer, an antivirus, or..well any thing new?

Elishiva123

Elishiva123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, thank you for responding. I installed Avast when I first got the computer, and I noticed that even that's not working now too. The only thing I installed recently though is McAfee SiteAdvisor, which I have since deleted. But it hasn't fixed anything by deleting it. I added the pictures. I'll be waiting to hear for you again. Thank you again.

Attached Thumbnails

• task manager 1.png
  • task manager 2.png
  • task manager 3.png
  • task manager 4.png

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
When you say you "deleted" mcafee did you uninstall the program or just delete the shortcut icon?
I do not see Avast running so maybe you should download a new version and select repair if given the option.
Everything looks normal, and the memory used is in the normal range (right now I am using 40% of my 4 GB)
Are you using a sidebar and gadgets (widgets)?
If you where not using sidebar or have added items to the sidebar that would explain a change in the amount of memory used.

Elishiva123

Elishiva123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I uninstalled the McAfee Siteadvisor from the add remove programs. When I did that, I saw that it wasn't in my FF extensions anymore. So I figure it's gone, even though it didn't change anything. I turned off the sidebar and gadgets thinking that might reduce some of the usage. But if everything seems to be okay and it's a normal thing for 1(something) GB physical memory to be used, then I wont worry about it. But, at different times, i did see that it was running around 400-500 MB so I know it can run down at those numbers. I was just concerned that it might be some big processes running that was doing it. Im going to fix Avast, thank you for telling me. If there is anything else you can tell me about whether or not its normal for the physical memory to run this high, I'd be really happy to know. Thank you.

Elishiva123

Elishiva123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Is there any more that you can tell me about this? Is it normal for a Windows 7 laptop like mine to be running at 1.21 GB physical memory? Thank you for your help.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
It may be a little high, depending on what programs are running in the background.
I was suprised to see so many (3) wireless adaptor processes running, you should look at what programs are managing your wireless adaptor.

Elishiva123

Elishiva123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Can you tell me how I have so many wireless adapter processes running and how do I go about looking at what programs are managing your wireless adapter? Can you tell me how I figure out what they are and how to make them so they're not running anymore? Thank you.