Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios works fine won't load windows

• Please log in to reply

Gordongray

Gordongray

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Bios works fine won't load windows
I have a amd 64 bit 3200 processor one gig of ram a brand new one Tb sata hard drive a DVD rw drive a win 7 disk in the DVD drive and it won't boot,. I can use the bios for as long as I want no problems soon as it should load windows the screen goes black with a flashing cursor at the top left and it's froze. My num lock and caps lock lights on the keyboard stop responding. And I listen for the disk to start spinning and it is but not fast as it should and it's driving me nuts I never had to ask for help on a discussion board after 12 years of building computers as a hobby but this is bizarre. Hope it sounds familiar to someone. Thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Gordongray :D
When you say won't load windows do you mean install to the HDD?
Can you provide the make and model of the MB please, I ask as the CPU details you have provided amd 64 bit 3200 could mean the processor was released as far back as 2003 as a Socket 754 variant and so it is possible that there are no W7 drivers available for it.

Gordongray

Gordongray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok sorry yes the processor is old but here is what stumps me I have the identical twin to this computer running win 7 and like a champ. In fact I just traded out the power supply and CPU with the other one I have not 3 months ago. They were both working with win 7 . But here is the mo Bo info ...or u know what? It's a e machine t6520. Whatever mo Bo came in that model. Unless you can tell me where and what exactly to look for on the mo Bo. They all seem to have different info in different places and it's confusing. But I guess I could google it

Gordongray

Gordongray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh and as far as what I mean by loading windows... I have a hard drive with win 7 installed already n it won't boot to it either... Just freezes

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Oh and as far as what I mean by loading windows... I have a hard drive with win 7 installed already n it won't boot to it either... Just freezes

Was W7 installed on the HDD whilst it was in another computer? If so that could be your problem, no drivers on the HDD for the present MB.

EDIT: Additional Info: emachines/gateway only list drivers for 32-bit XP Home and 32-bit XP Premium http://support.gatew...ault.aspx?tab=2 and the original MB is/was a MS-7145 RS480 754P K8 IXP400 see post #17 http://www.techspot....topic99346.html where the post says the MB would not work with Vista.

Edited by phillpower2, 03 April 2011 - 06:27 AM.

Gordongray

Gordongray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I thought about that but aside from almost all the hardware being the same it should still start to boot then give me the blue screen of death... Depending on bios settings perhaps keep restarting over n over but it just freezes no matter what device I select as priority boot device among misc. Bios settings that I don't understand so I changed just to see. ( all of which got set back to defaults after of course) . Oh here is something I forgot about.the first couple of tries it gave me a CMOS check sum error F1 to continue f2 to run setup message. If I went to bios they worked fine all checked out but f1 n it would freeze. But It quit doin that now

Edited by Gordongray, 03 April 2011 - 05:45 AM.

Gordongray

Gordongray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yea my processor is 64 bit but me software is 32 bit. And vista and 7 are very similar but win7 runs great on my other one and ran great on that one to.. What do u think about the possibility of the power supply failing some how.?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
See the edit in previous post.

I thought about that but aside from almost all the hardware being the same it should still start to boot then give me the blue screen of death... Depending on bios settings perhaps keep restarting over n over but it just freezes

Sorry but this is not correct, the initial information the screen displays is from the data stored on the BIOS chip which carries out the POST (power on self test) this tests the hardware that is connected CPU, Ram, GFX, HDD and keyboard etc, if it encounters a problem component POST is aborted and dependent on the system error beeps may be heard or diagnostic LEDs displayed, if all your hardware is detected in the BIOS it points to the data on the HDD being incompatible, corrupt or missing, formatting and trying a fresh install of W7 or another OS (with the HDD in the T6520) may be your only option.

Was W7 installed on the HDD whilst it was in another computer? If so that could be your problem, no drivers on the HDD for the present MB.

You never answered the above question!

the first couple of tries it gave me a CMOS check sum error

This primarily happens if the CMOS battery has been removed or has died, the Clear CMOS jumper cap has been removed or worse case scenario a bad BIOS chip, resetting the time and date and saving the settings needs to be done at this point and the settings saved (F10) and then Y to accept the changes, if these settings do not save it is a BIOS issue.

Gordongray

Gordongray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yea the battery had died and I replaced it and set the time and that's when it stopped the check sum error screen. I didn't realize the battery would cause that. I never new what the check sum was. Thanks for the info. That alone was worth all this testing for me. However it still freezes. I think that it's an old system and not worth further headaches. So I have retired it. Everything has a beginning and an end. I'm glad to have learned what you told me though thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok and thanks for the update, I would still be tempted to put XP on that system and keep it as a back up.