Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating new partition when reinstalling Win XP

• Please log in to reply

dampfleece

dampfleece

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I have recently purchased a new Samsung NC110 netbook with Windows 7 Starter installed. However, I find it runs fairly slowly so I intend to install XP on it from an old installation disc.

However, when I first started my netbook I set up a partition with 40Gb allocated to the C drive and the remaining 240 to a D drive. Not being that computer savvy I got confused and despite having a portable hard drive for back up and the computer having a separate hidden restore partition, I went ahead with this.

My question is that if I start again with XP can I reset the partition to a single C drive with separate restore area?

Many thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Uh you may have a problem here dampfleece. Since the system came with Win7 installed the system may not have drivers for XP. Before going through all this did you check on Samsung's site to see if they have XP drivers for your system?

My question is that if I start again with XP can I reset the partition to a single C drive with separate restore area?

This will depend on where the restore image is located on the drive. If at the very end of the drive and the other two partitions are next to each other then yes. In fact even if it is at the beginning of the drive and the other two partitions are after it and next to each other then it can be done.

dampfleece

dampfleece

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks rschaffer61!

I,ve checked the Samsung site and it seems all the drivers are there for XP (chipset, touchpad, sound, graphics, webcam, wireless LAN).

Now I presume I need to download these and save externally - is it ok to do to my external hard drive or must it be to a DVD drive?

Also, how should I proceed? Do I pt the XP disc in and then install the drivers later, or do I need to do something with the drivers first??

Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you can put them on a external. Download all the drivers to one folder on the external so you know where they are. Name the folder XP Drivers.
You would need to install XP first and then starting with the Chipset driver you install the drivers.
Normal install steps would be
  • Chipset
  • Touchpad
  • Video
  • Internet,Wireless Lan or Network
  • Sound
  • Webcam

dampfleece

dampfleece

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank so mch rschaffer - sounds quite straightforward so I'll give it a go!

I have the Windows 7 disc standing by in case I mess it up though!!

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D Let me know how it goes or if you have any further questions. I will monitor this topic till you are back up and running. :D

dampfleece

dampfleece

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks - will let you know how it goes, though going to get a bite to eat first!

Just to check with the repartition, how will I know if the partitions are next to each other? and at what stage in the XP process do I need to specify that I just want one c drive with a separate recovery area?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If there is no recovery partition right now it will not show up on the partition steps of installation.
If the drive shows up as one unallocated drive then you are pretty well free to setup the C partition in the size you want. Then setup D for what you want and lastly a small recovery partition depending on the size as little as 2 gigs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is what my drives look like. You can see on my main drive 5 partitions.
First is my XP. Second is my Win7 and the last 3 are for Linux.